Menu

Confused on science sequence for high school...

Hi Everyone,

I have been lurking around these boards for a long time, but I never thought I would be joining the high school board.  I didn't think I would be schooling for high school because ds went to ps in 9th and I thought dd was going to follow his path, but she is staying home for high school.  She will take choir and art at the local ps and all other classes at home.   Now on to my dilemma of high school science.  At the local ps they do Intro to Physics/Intro to Chemistry in 9th grade (so Physical Science) and then Biology in 10th, Physics or chemistry in 11th, and that is all that is required.  So 3 science credits.   I'm thinking we should skip the physical science and go into biology, doing biology, chemistry, and physics and one other in 12th grade.  Would this be what you would recommend?  As of right now, dd wants to do something with animals (like  wildlife animal rehab) which probably means some sort of biology degree or pre-vet degree at college in order to get into this field.  If we go with  physical science we would do Integrated Physics and Chemistry.  If we go with biology :crying:  - what would you recommend??  

I would like to thank all of you wonderful ladies and gentlemen for all of the wisdom you impart here.  I have always gained so much insight on these boards.

Blessings,

Pat in MI 

I think the reason they do Intro Physics is to help in the understanding of Chemistry which is then extremely helpful when you get to biology. So a short course (1/2 year) in each prior to Bio would better prepare the student for higher level Biology classes. We did the Physics bit this year for 8th and we'll do a whole year of Chemistry (Intro) for 9th, followed by Bio 10th, Environmental Sci and/or Adv Chem for 11th and 12th.  If your DD is expecting to be a STEM major I'd have her do 4 years of Science. 

• Like 1

There's no need for physical science. Physics and chem will both start at the beginning anyway. You could go physics, chem, biology, and then a more advanced science in her field of interest in 12th. If her math isn't ready for physics this year you can do one like Hewitt's Conceptual Physics that's high on understanding and lower on math.

We did Biology, *insert alternative science here*, Chemistry, *alternative science*.  The alternative science classes followed the girls' interests.  One did Marine Biology after Biology, one did a very in depth Forensic Science after Biology, and one did Anatomy/Physiology after Biology.  

My oldest did not take a 4th science, she's going into a German major.

One of my 15 year olds will likely do Physics after Chemistry.

Not sure what route the other 15 year old will do yet, but likely Physics or Food Science.  

I personally found that the math foundation is needed more for Chemistry and Physics than Biology.  We skipped over the Physical Science for high school.  

My daughter did the following sciences while in high school.

9th: Physical Science
10th: Chemistry (Lab)
11th: G 101: Earth's Dynamic Interior (Lab)
11th: G 102 Earth's Dynamic Surface (Lab)
11th: G 146: Rocks and Minerals (Lab)
12th: ENVS 181: Terrestrial Science (Lab)

We allowed her to study the sciences that interested her at the community college in 11th and 12th grades (namely Geology and Environmental Science) rather than mandating that she study the more traditional Biology in which she had no interest.

None of the ten colleges to which she applied specifically requested Biology though all did require at least three years of science. She was accepted at eight of those colleges and wait listed by the ninth.  Bear in mind that she went on to major in Latin rather than the hard sciences. (She did minor in Geology.)

Regards,

Kareni

We do ICP in 8th grade. My kids found it very helpful to have a little background in Chemistry before hitting Biology and the intro made the full courses go a little faster and easier down the line. However, it isn't necessary. I don't know what science study she has done in the past, but ICP is nice, not needed. It can also stall a year for math to catch up to science requirements if that is helpful for you.

If she wants to take Biology, let her. There are lots of choices. Christian or secular? Pre-planned or you plan? video based or textbook based? 

• Like 1

Most places do different sequences.  Where I grew up, the sequence was earth science, biology, chemistry, optional fourth year.  I'm not 100% certain chemistry was required when I was high school age (mid-90s).  I know at some point only 2 science credits were required there, but they changed it to three.  Here they do biology, chemistry, physics or AP bio or chemistry, optional fourth year.  No earth science at all.  My daughter is doing biology in 9th (public school just that one year), chemistry, AP bio, something we haven't decided on in 12th grade.  I'd go with what your child wants and in the order they want (provided it makes sense since some sciences need certain maths first, etc.).

I do know here in Michigan they do need Biology and then Chemistry or Physics, and one other science to graduate.  So I will follow those requirements since most of the colleges are looking for incoming students to have these.  I guess I am just on the fence of whether or not she should do the intro classes and then move into Biology, Chem, and Physics.  I wonder do most colleges look for an advanced science course or AP if you are going into a science related field or if she just takes regular high school sciences if she will be fine??

I do know here in Michigan they do need Biology and then Chemistry or Physics, and one other science to graduate.  So I will follow those requirements since most of the colleges are looking for incoming students to have these.  I guess I am just on the fence of whether or not she should do the intro classes and then move into Biology, Chem, and Physics.  I wonder do most colleges look for an advanced science course or AP if you are going into a science related field or if she just takes regular high school sciences if she will be fine??

This depends on what college she wants to go to. Is she looking at highly competitive or Ivies? If so, she'll need AP. If she is looking at a less competitive LAC or a state University, having 4 years of science with no APs will be just fine. 

ETA: For Biology or wildlife management or any applied science degree similar to wildlife management I would consider a solid 4 years of high school science very adequate prep. She will be ready to jump into first year major's level sciences. That is all that is necessary.

• Like 1