Menu

non-honors Bio, expecting to do AP bio eventually

Hello-

I'm selecting a bio spine for my DS, who will begin 8th grade next year.

The plan is for him to do non-honors Bio next year, non-honors Chem the year after...then start the AP courses (bio, chem, probably physics).

Given that we plan to eventually do an AP Bio class, is there value in selecting one of the books that's also the basis of an AP course (e.g. one of the Campbell books), so it's consistent?  If so...which of the two would you select?

I will be using Miller Levine as the spine for an Honors 9th Bio.  While I see your point about consistency, I am inclined toward the counterpoint.  I don't like the idea of a single author / series for multiple years of science.  I would prefer broader exposure for my student.

• Like 3

I will be using Miller Levine as the spine for an Honors 9th Bio.  While I see your point about consistency, I am inclined toward the counterpoint.  I don't like the idea of a single author / series for multiple years of science.  I would prefer broader exposure for my student.

I would second this. Often , the book that is a step down is too similar. For example, I have both Chang's Chemistry used for AP Chem and his General Chemistry used for Honors Chem. While I really like Chang, I wouldn't have a student do both texts.

Also, another thumbs up for Campbell Biology when you are ready for AP. Ds used the first edition of their Biology in Focus (AP) this year and was rather sorrowful when he had to return it to the school library. It's a couple hundred pages shorter than our 10th ed. of Campbell, but still hits everything needed for the AP exam.

• Like 1

well - that was an unusual level of agreement!

I'd narrowed it down to 4 choices, and M&L was one of them - so I'd say that's the front-runner at this point.

A few clarifying questions:

1) Dragonfly or Macaw?  Macaw is the current one (Dragonfly was last published in 2008).  Is there a reason to prefer the older one?

2) the big homeschool bio thread doesn't contain as much info for these as other programs - I assume the level of math required isn't beyond a good pre-algebra program (e.g. linear equations, but not quadratics or radicals)?

3) consistent suggestion is to not do the whole book for a non-honors course...how to trim it down??!?  It's a magnificent 1K pages :D

4) can you rate the teachers guides/lesson-plans, etc?  Mom will be the primary teacher - she was a really really excellent student, but not a science-focused one.  Also - she really prefers detailed lesson plans.

well - that was an unusual level of agreement!

I'd narrowed it down to 4 choices, and M&L was one of them - so I'd say that's the front-runner at this point.

A few clarifying questions:

1) Dragonfly or Macaw?  Macaw is the current one (Dragonfly was last published in 2008).  Is there a reason to prefer the older one?

Macaw. There were some updates worth getting.

2) the big homeschool bio thread doesn't contain as much info for these as other programs - I assume the level of math required isn't beyond a good pre-algebra program (e.g. linear equations, but not quadratics or radicals)?

No math requirements for M/L Biology.

3) consistent suggestion is to not do the whole book for a non-honors course...how to trim it down??!?  It's a magnificent 1K pages :D

If you are still talking about M/L, we did the whole book for 1 kid and I trimmed for the other. I left out sections that we had covered in Life Science and didn't feel needed to be covered again.

4) can you rate the teachers guides/lesson-plans, etc?  Mom will be the primary teacher - she was a really really excellent student, but not a science-focused one.  Also - she really prefers detailed lesson plans.

The lesson plans from Kolbe are well reviewed here. I just used the online resources with it once and lined it up to DIVE Biology the other time (we read the sections of the book DIVE didn't cover but didn't test on them). For someone who really wants detailed plans, I'd look at Kolbe.

Thanks everyone.

ML Macaw, it is.  The whole book.

I'll enjoy the look on DS's face when I deposit 2000 pages of Biology in his lap (1000+ in the main text, 560 in the WB, 380 in the lab manual)!

I love text books, but DS does not always share my perverse glee when new ones arrive.

The instructions on how to get the TM and supplementary materials from pearson look to be a bit dated.  I think they've updated their website and changed the names of some things.  I sent an email to the publisher this afternoon - hopefully that'll work.  If someone wants to post recent directions (or PM me) that'd also be much appreciated.

-andy

• Like 1

I was recently successful with Pearson, but I gave up many hours of my life.  I am not sure that I could replicate the process, either. PM me if you get stuck.

Kolbe Academy is due to release new plans for the Macaw book.  I keep asking them when?  They keep saying soon. Supposedly there will be both an Honors version and a regular version.  I am not sure that I will purchase - by the time it comes out I will have everything done and ready to go!

I have already gone through the lab book. I really like some of the labs.  Some of them require supplies that I can't get or don't want to get. 

Later today, I can come back and give you my other lab sources if you are interested.

Thanks everyone.

ML Macaw, it is.  The whole book.

I'll enjoy the look on DS's face when I deposit 2000 pages of Biology in his lap (1000+ in the main text, 560 in the WB, 380 in the lab manual)!

I love text books, but DS does not always share my perverse glee when new ones arrive.

The instructions on how to get the TM and supplementary materials from pearson look to be a bit dated.  I think they've updated their website and changed the names of some things.  I sent an email to the publisher this afternoon - hopefully that'll work.  If someone wants to post recent directions (or PM me) that'd also be much appreciated.

-andy

The instructions are a bit dated, but every summer people post that it still works :). You may have to be the test case this year. Their ordering system is terribly confusing, but it is VERY worth the effort!

I didn't buy any additional paper books (workbook or lab manual), but just used the online resources. Both my kids preferred reading online, so after taking 2 kids through it I have a Macaw book that has barely been opened.