Menu

Activity suggestions for Lafayette, IN? (longest of shots, I know )

madteaparty

We are doing Indianapolis and Chicago on this road trip, but will be in Lafayette visiting family for a few days. I'd love some outdoorsy things to do. They will do some indoor projects like woodworking etc. I looked into the day camps but they only go by the week. Thanks for any thoughts!

Wildcat Creek park has nice wading/swimming and a sandy beach-type area.

If you read SOtW 4 (or not) you might be interested in stopping by Tippecanoe Battlefield where Wm. H. Harrison fought Tecumseh's assembled men. There is a museum and small nature center. Also, you can walk down to a hiking trail along the Wabash River.

If you plan on going to the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago, you may want to stop at Lafayette's Imagination Station and get a membership, which is then reciprocal at Science and Industry. This is apparently a good deal for many families.

Celery Bog Nature center has a nice interpretive center and some easy hiking trails.

Purdue campus has a few tree trails, I think pamphlets are available on-line. If you do go to campus it would be worthwhile to stop at the new solar system sculpture that was just installed next to the campus police station. Cool and huge and shiny-new.

There are a number of smaller parks and hiking areas.

If you want to pm me specific dates I can see if there are any events happening that I am aware of.

Want to meet a fellow-boardie at a park some afternoon?? Then we can vouch for each other on here.

• Like 1

Wildcat Creek park has nice wading/swimming and a sandy beach-type area.

If you read SOtW 4 (or not) you might be interested in stopping by Tippecanoe Battlefield where Wm. H. Harrison fought Tecumseh's assembled men. There is a museum and small nature center. Also, you can walk down to a hiking trail along the Wabash River.

If you plan on going to the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago, you may want to stop at Lafayette's Imagination Station and get a membership, which is then reciprocal at Science and Industry. This is apparently a good deal for many families.

Celery Bog Nature center has a nice interpretive center and some easy hiking trails.

Purdue campus has a few tree trails, I think pamphlets are available on-line. If you do go to campus it would be worthwhile to stop at the new solar system sculpture that was just installed next to the campus police station. Cool and huge and shiny-new.

There are a number of smaller parks and hiking areas.

If you want to pm me specific dates I can see if there are any events happening that I am aware of.

Want to meet a fellow-boardie at a park some afternoon?? Then we can vouch for each other on here.

I would love this!! I will be dependent on in laws/DH to drive me places but I will PM you!
  • Like 1