Menu

CLE question

mamakelly

I see that there are 10 light units for each grade level of CLE. How many lessons are in each unit? I was thinking I'd have my rising 2nd grader do some math during the summer, so I was trying to figure out how many CLE units we'd need to get us through the summer. 

For CLE 200's there are about 15 lessons/ Light Unit. Keep in mind that the *01's are the same as the *10's (in other words 110 and 201 cover the same material.) IMO you could comfortably cover 3 LU's over the summer and push it up to 5 for a student that knows the material and can skip some of the review problems.

There are 17 lessons in each LU. Lesson 16 is always a review for the test that comes with Lesson 17, so it could easily be skipped. Each LU has 2 quizzes and 1 test, which seems like a bit of testing overkill to me. If you skip those you would be down to 13 lessons per LU. So 13-17 depending how you schedule it. I'll also add my agreement to the others recommending you skip LU 201. It reviews the previous grade and is set up completely different.

Did you give a placement test?  Is this the first time using CLE?  I would definitely give the placement test before starting a student in CLE if they didn't start with it.  If they started with it, then ignore the rest of my post.  :)

The first light unit of each level (at least starting with Level 2) is review of the previous level.  It is set up so that the child can go through the lessons pretty quickly and only needs to do additional lessons (provided in the 01 light unit) if they run into a specific area that they aren't solid on.  Therefore, even if there were gaps after taking the placement test, running your child through 201 should solidify any gaps.

As mentioned above, there are basically 16-17 days per light unit.  That includes 2 quizzes and a test.  You could skip the quizzes and tests, cross off some of the review problems in areas they are solid and actually double up the lessons.  Each lesson has 1 or 2 new items they introduce at the beginning and the rest of the lesson is review.  You could have her do the new material from two lessons and only do the review material from one lesson.  With that pace, instead of 16-17 days, a Light Unit could be completed in about 2 weeks.

Honestly, I would try to have a day of mathy games and fun, mathy activities, though, instead of just CLE.  Its a great curriculum but can get dull.  Maybe a few things from this thread might help:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/499692-looking-to-do-some-relaxed-math-here-want-to-share-ideas/page-3?do=findComment&comment=6381264

• Like 1

He finished the placement test. He's 7 and finishing first grade, so I gave him the 100 placement test. It has 60 questions and he only missed 4. I'd like him to do a little math 1x a week during the summer to keep his skills sharp and to keep him busy. So should I buy him the 201 book or skip it and move to 202?