Menu

Potter's School writing questions

Hi ladies,

I am considering enrolling my daughter in Adventures in Writing (Potter's School).  She will be in 5th grade.

First of all - any thoughts about this class?  A friend of mine has graduated 2 children so far from TPS and they have done exceptionally well in college and she raves about TPS.

Also - which teachers do you recommend?  Here are the options:

Heidi Illian

Silas Schaeffer

Jana Lake

Any additional thoughts are appreciated as well!  

Thanks!

I have lots of experience with TPS just not with this particular class or these instructors.

I can say that my two older kids have taken a lot of TPS English classes and they have both felt very well equipped to tackle writing on the college level. Dd just finished her freshman year of college and ds is in his senior year. Neither have had any difficulty at all with any papers they've been assigned in college. 

So, I'm bumping for you and I'm recommending TPS English classes. :)

AFAIK, this is a newer class, right? Potter's School has done higher level classes for quite awhile, but they have only recently expanded down below the middle school level. All to say, I doubt there are many people who have had experience in this particular class.

• 11 months later...

Reviving this thread because I'm curious as to whether the original poster enrolled with one of the above teachers listed. We are in the same boat this year.

We DID enroll. We started with Jana Lake. She was wonderful. My daughter loved her, she kept everyone interested throughout class, she was effective and encouraging. We had to switch days/times because my daughter started having play practice each week at the same time. We ended up in Silas Schaeffer's class. He was very different. Very nice, interesting stories as he taught. But very hard to communicate with. If we had a problem with an assignment, it would sometimes take 4-5 days for him to get back to us and by that time, the assignment was due. That said, there may have been something going on in his life at the time. I don't know circumstances. But he was a good teacher and my daughter liked him. But if we were to sign up again, I would put her in Mrs. Lake's class.

• Like 1

I have my 6th grader enrolled in Writing Fundamentals which is the 6th grade class much like the one you listed.  My 15 year old has done Potter's school English classes since 7th grade and I am very impressed with what they have required of him. I haven't had a bad class with them yet.