Menu

0.5 credit for career education

Ack! My older kids did a semester's credit of career education in order to graduate from the public high school. The school builds in little bits and pieces over 3-4 years so by the end, the kids have the credit required by state law.

I've never deemed this important enough to sacrifice time away from regular academics. However, if my official transcripts says "In accordance to State Law 530" or whatever, I should probably have him do something to qualify for the credit.  He's actually done a resume, and interviewed for and acquired a job, but that is not really "career education."

What could I have him do that would fulfill this requirement and be useful?

What is the law you cite on your transcript?

I list the law that regulates homeschooling, and certify that I run my homeschool in accordance to this.

This same law does not stipulate graduation requirements for a homeschool, and I do not cite the law which does so for the public schools, since this is not relevant to me.

Are you SURE you're law required you to have this credit fro a homeschooler?

• Like 1

I'm fairly certain we are in the same state and our law does indeed specify that occupational education is one of the 11 required subjects we have to teach. It does *not* specify that these subjects have to be credited, only that they must be *taught*. I agree with you that I'm not considering taking time from academics to create a separate course. I'd consider that with having done a resume, applying, interviewing, and accepting a job, you have taught him the required subject of occupational education. :) You just have to meet the law, you don't have to have it on a transcript, AFAIK.

I'd also consider that many community activities could potentially fulfill this requirement - Boy Scouts, Junior Achievement, Boys State, etc.

• Like 1

I looked at what courses counted as "occupational education" at the local high school and then decided that my son's two quarters of computer science at the CC would satisfy the requirement.

The state (WA) doesn't actually tell me what my graduation requirements must be, but since I was justifying doing some things a certain way because the public high school did them that way (for example giving high school credit for courses taken in middle school), I decided to make the graduation requirements conform to (actually they exceeded in most areas) what the local district was doing as well.

• Like 1

If I had to do a career course and have it listed... in addition to the things you have done,

I'd have my teen go through something like What Color is Your Parachute for Teens?

followed up with lessons from this even though they are basics and not going to be complicated.  It's more of stuff I'd want my children to think about before graduating high school.  and then not feel pressured to finish everything in the workplace category. here's the link

http://www.gcflearnfree.org/workplaceskills