Menu

VT scores in...success!

Twinmom

Want to rejoice with me? My DD is nearing the end of her vision therapy with only 5 visits left (well, 10 really as we do double sessions). The therapist wanted to focus only on remaining trouble areas for the last few visits, so she did a total retest. Want to hear the composite score?

Drum-roll please...battery-017.gif

She raised her total score from an original 18th percentile to an amazing 77th! My jaw literally dropped, and I got tears in my eyes. DD got embarrassed and hid! :lol: Her individual scores placed her in a skill range of normal (9.3 years) to above average (13 years in FOUR categories!). She only has two small trouble areas where she is just six months behind where she should be...that is where the remaining work will be done. This is a girl who scored at a visual skill level of 5.6 years to 7.4 years at age 9 just back in May!

I know several of you are struggling to get through VT, so I wanted to post this as an encouragement. We have seen amazing progress in just 3 months. I asked our therapist was this normal, and she said it was normal progress for most kids in VT. She said, however, that our situation made the rise in skills more dramatic because we'd had the opportunity to condense therapy. So, if you are not seeing as much progress as you would like and you are one of those who is doing VT at a regular pace of once a week, hang in there. It WILL get better!

Oh, and BTW...DD, who once got carsick just watching a video, read 80 pages of The Boxcar Children while driving home from VT today! That accounts for about a page a minute if she'd read the whole time (I don't know if she did!) I thought she was playing a Nintendo DS! :D

I am happy to hear that news.

My son did well with light therapy. That ended in June. My next challenge was finding books that were laid out with font that was read-able as a transition. He was 10.5 then (turned 11 in August). He was on Andrew Clements books and otherwise comics and magazines. However he has jumped from the intentionally laid out books by Max Elliot Anderson and then to My Name is America (like Dear America but for boys) and then (gasp) in the end of July and August he read Eragon and Eldest.

So I know how you feel!!

I blogged some transition books if you want to read my blog post on it.

http://thethinkingmother.blogspot.com/2008/08/transition-books-for-children-with-eye.html

For more on the topic click on the label for eye tracking problems below that post.

I am so happy your DD is making progress with her reading!

Thanks for the support, gals! I'm just so tickled I can't hardly stand it. Makes all the sacrifices we've made this summer worthwhile.

Tonight, she finished the rest of the Boxcar Children, staying up late to read it. She started it at bedtime last night, so this is a big deal for her. I commented that she seemed to be really enjoying reading now, she said something along the lines of "pshft!" Then, in the next breath, she asked how many other Boxcar Children books were out there and could I get them for her! :lol:

At the end of last school year, this kiddo wouldn't have made it more than 2 or 3 pages into the book without bursting into tears. Now, she's reading 154 pages in 24 hours with ease and asking for more! I went online and ordered the first 9 Boxcar books tonight. Methinks she needs a harder book now but she's so overjoyed with it that I'll buy her the whole 50 plus books if it makes her happy!

Can you tell I'm a little pleased? :D