Menu

Denise Austin -- have you tried her 360 degree workout? Thoughts?

AMJ

I am officially counting myself in the over-50 and out-of-shape groups.  I want to exercise more, and to do so economically using the cable weight machine, stationary bike, treadmill, yoga mats, and free weights (all small) that I have in the comfort of my A/C'd and mostly mosquito-free home, so I can work my workouts around the vagaries of my family's schedules and accommodate my quirky knees.

As a result I'm trying to find some workout plans, because when left on my own I just stare at the machines and gear and forget how to get started.  I found Denise Austin's 10-week 360 degree workout plan online.  It has a free trial for the first week, but the user must still enter credit card info up front.  Before I commit to handing out my financial info I'd like to learn more than I can on her website.

Has anyone used her program?  What can you tell me about it?  Do you have any recommendations for any other home workouts for the not-fit-at-all, over-50, female bunch?

All I can say is.... I have her Pilates DVD... and it is evil... evil, I tell you.

(LOL)

I have tried Pilates, even with someone local who is known for moderating things to match her clients' abilities and needs.  I personally find Pilates evil under all circumstances in which I have tried it.  I loathe Pilates.

I like easy, stretchy yoga, though (not power yoga -- stretchy yoga).

I like Denise Austin okay, and she is great for when you are not in shape at all and need to get into shape. She is not really inspirational at all (IMO) but kind of cheerleaderish. Not my cuppa. I would love to get good yoga DVD recs, I have Jillian Micheals yoga DVD and like it a lot, but I need something different. I'm tired of the same old same old.

Guest christimarie72

Hi AMJ,

I'm a mother of 3 boys, so I'm constantly running from practice to schools and back home! It can be really exhausting at the end of the day when I promised myself I'd workout but just don't have the energy to. This year I turn 43 and decided I had to get in shape so I don't burn out due to poor health.

I'm on my 2nd session with Denise's plan and I must say it's been fantastic. The meal plans have been among my favorite things about the plan, as I've been able to lose 17 pounds to date and still eat yummy foods!!! The workouts are hard at first but then you gain momentum and are excited to workout everyday- newfound energy and less fat always makes for a happy girl :)

I have 9 more weeks to go on the 2nd session and hope to lose a total of 30 pounds from when I first started! I recommend Denise's 360 Plan ^_^

Christine

I haven't used that particular program, but I have a few of her DVDs and like them. She's rather chirpy and some might find her style annoying, but I enjoy the workouts and they motivate me.

I have some of her videos as well -- on videotape.  Since she's just a few years older than I am I have hopes of her having newer workouts that are more friendly to bodies with a bit of mileage.  I'm just naturally suspicious of give-us-authority-to-charge-you-now-and-cancel-if-you-don't-like-us setups, so I'd like to find out more before I sign up to try her online course for a "free" week.

I like Denise Austin okay, and she is great for when you are not in shape at all and need to get into shape. She is not really inspirational at all (IMO) but kind of cheerleaderish. Not my cuppa. I would love to get good yoga DVD recs, I have Jillian Micheals yoga DVD and like it a lot, but I need something different. I'm tired of the same old same old.

For yoga my tapes are quite dated (hey, they are video tapes!).  However, two that I continue to like (though I haven't watched them in a while) are Linda Arkin and Wai Lana Yoga.  I found both of them to be more stretchy and relaxing, which is what I like.  My most recent yoga has been classes with my personal trainer, but she stopped training to run a store, and I don't know where she holds yoga classes anymore.

So I'll gladly listen to recommendations on yoga videos, too, but only the stretchy, relaxing type.  I do not have the tolerance for the more energetic yoga.

Hi AMJ,

I'm a mother of 3 boys, so I'm constantly running from practice to schools and back home! It can be really exhausting at the end of the day when I promised myself I'd workout but just don't have the energy to. This year I turn 43 and decided I had to get in shape so I don't burn out due to poor health.

I'm on my 2nd session with Denise's plan and I must say it's been fantastic. The meal plans have been among my favorite things about the plan, as I've been able to lose 17 pounds to date and still eat yummy foods!!! The workouts are hard at first but then you gain momentum and are excited to workout everyday- newfound energy and less fat always makes for a happy girl :)

I have 9 more weeks to go on the 2nd session and hope to lose a total of 30 pounds from when I first started! I recommend Denise's 360 Plan ^_^

Christine

Hi, Christine,

Can you tell me more, please?  What is the program like -- do you log in whenever you want to exercise?  Do you get email reminders?  Are you "required" to follow the meal plan, or can you focus on the working out?  (We have some dietary issues here, so I keep a sharp eye on what we are eating already, and it doesn't always match what is "recommended" by various programs.) 

How do you fit your exercise into your busy schedule?  How variable are the exercises -- are different levels of them offered for people whose abilities aren't quite there yet?  Do they assume everyone is just a beginner at the start and give only simpler and lower impact exercises?  I am not a beginner to exercising; I know from direct experience that I am more capable of some exercises and less capable of others.

Thank you for your response.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest christimarie72

Hi, Christine,

Can you tell me more, please?  What is the program like -- do you log in whenever you want to exercise?  Do you get email reminders?  Are you "required" to follow the meal plan, or can you focus on the working out?  (We have some dietary issues here, so I keep a sharp eye on what we are eating already, and it doesn't always match what is "recommended" by various programs.) 

How do you fit your exercise into your busy schedule?  How variable are the exercises -- are different levels of them offered for people whose abilities aren't quite there yet?  Do they assume everyone is just a beginner at the start and give only simpler and lower impact exercises?  I am not a beginner to exercising; I know from direct experience that I am more capable of some exercises and less capable of others.

Thank you for your response.

Hi there,

It's pretty simpe- you log in whenever you want (I do it at 6am before anyone else is awake) and there's a daily workout for you but you can always turn up the intensity by filtering things such as level 1, 2, 3; 10 min, 20 min or 30 min workout; the kind of workout you want to do- whether it be total body toning, strength training, cardio, etc.

I eat what the program recommends, but when I can't make the meals I just eat leftovers or something else healthy. The program also lets you gear the diet, so diabetic, gluten-free, and vegetarian are options too

No problem, happy to spread the word!

I have recently added Denise's workouts to my routine (I used to have some of her tapes in the 80s/90s). I have found a ton of her workouts for free on YouTube.

There are two series, apparently from TV:

Daily Workout

Fit & Lite

I have found playlists for both series on YouTube, about 35 episodes of each. They have a nice mix of warm up, cardio, weights, cool down/yoga.

She also has more recent workouts on the BeFit YouTube channel.

Just thought I'd mention this if you'd rather try the free route first :)

Denise has written books that include both exercise and diet plans, and they also have corresponding DVD exercise programs. They were pretty popular so your library may have them. If you can't locate them on a site like Amazon or VideoFitness.com, let me know and I will try to find the titles for you.

I wouldn't do the paid subscription thing because Denise's workout DVDs are so reasonably priced, and as others have mentioned, there is also a great selection of her workout videos available for free online.

She used to have a workout show on Lifetime TV that aired early every morning. Does anyone know if it's still being aired?

• 5 weeks later...
Guest DeniseFan

There are hundreds of Denise Austin videos on YouTube. Check out these channels:

VaneBalto - YouTube
www.youtube.com/user/VaneBalto/videos

Deanne Mist - YouTube
www.youtube.com/user/longlivedeniseaustin/videos

empireofdenise - YouTube
www.youtube.com/user/empireofdenise/videos

SuperJunior1030 - YouTube
www.youtube.com/user/SuperJunior1030/videos

Just do yourself a favor and don't read the guys' comments beneath. While looking for clips for this post, I discovered that there are lots of pervs out there who watch Denise Austin for “funâ€, if you know what I’m sayin’. Yikes! I know Denise is not thrilled. She was even quoted in a Washington D.C. newspaper saying was upset over lewd comments made about past clips on YouTube. Here is the link:

Stretch Comedy: Exercise guru gets indecent exposure. - Washington City Paper
www.washingtoncitypaper.com/articles/1275/stretch-comedy

• 5 months later...

This post was created on May 15, 2015.  I am also considering joining the program.

AMJ, did you sign up for the Denise Austin program?  If so, how are you doing, do you like it?  

Christimarie72, you already indicated you love the program.  Can you give us an update on your success, etc. 

Anyone else that may have started on this program, would love to hear your comments as well.  I have been on sooooo many programs and am still searching for a good program.

Thanks.