Menu

Well, I don't understand dyslexia very well so just knowing that he's dyslexic doesn't exactly tell me much. Dyslexic to what extent?

Personally, unless he learns well from writing/reading, I wouldn't prioritize writing and reading in the first 2 years of language study. I would prioritize listening and speaking and gaining the ability to understand what you are listening to. The writing and grammar should be pulled in to support the natural conversation skills, not stilted conversation built around sterilized grammar lessons.

Look into audio based courses <--this is my recommendation for nearly everyone, LDs or none.

Both Michel Thomas and Pimsleur are 100% audio based, look them up on Amazon.com for reviews. MT has a PDF transcript and I have an unofficial but pretty darn accurate transcript for Pimsleur, so that if he needed to, he could read and listen along. Or listen to it, then read through it and listen to it. He should be doing a minimum of 15 minutes of Audio work in Spanish daily to get the ear training, but I wouldn't race through the course. Listen and repeat the parts that you struggle with.

There is "Learn in Your Car Spanish" which is also pretty good and is a more traditional Spanish course by its scope and sequence. Living Language makes a few audio Spanish courses also. As for authentic conversational Spanish courses go Learning Spanish Like Crazy is insanely good, but also kind of fast paced. I would do Pimsleur or MT first and then to LSLC.

There is Destinos which is a Spanish TV-show designed for learners and it aligns with virtually every Spanish textbook for Spanish 1-3 made within the last several years.

On the computer there is Visual Link Spanish which has multimedia and is also really pretty good.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I'd echo what mom2bee said.  For any learning of a modern foreign language, I'd recommend a heavy use of the spoken language even without dyslexia.  I haven't used Destinos, but I've heard lots of good things about it.  My understanding is that Destinos is appropriate for high school and later level learning.  I don't know which books match up with Destinos.

• Like 1

Homeschool Spanish Academy. They use live teachers in Guatemala over Skype and a much of the teaching is conversational. They are also really great at meeting the kids needs - I think you could talk to them and see what they do for dyslexic students.

• Like 2

I can only tell you what we plan.  If you look back on prior discussions, you will see that I LOVE Mr. Ray Leven for Spanish.  It has been fabulous for DS.  We started in 8th grade (age 12, turned 13 end of Sept) and he has currently completed Honors Spanish 2 for 9th, moving on to Honors Spanish 3 for 10th.  I say that because I think I have a decent idea of the work load of Mr. Leven's Spanish class.....a lot. :)  Our DD (finishing 6th) is dyslexic, dysgraphic, dyscalculia, you name it.  I've  been in contact with Mr. Leven a little bit, and also discussed with DS.  My plan is to have her take with Mr. Leven starting in 9th grade.  However, I fully intend on having to supplement with a weekly tutoring session, and his rates are $80/hour!  He uses flash cards, walks the students through pronunciation, etc.  That isn't a viable financial option for everyone, but it is soooooo much cheaper than the local OG school, that we are willing to do it.  Its also possible that you could JUST pay the weekly tutoring, discuss what you need for your child, and Mr. Leven would tailor the individual class to that need.  

I will also acknowledge that I have no expectations of DD making it though 3 or 4 years of Spanish.  If she manages 2 credits in 3 years we will be thrilled, especially if she manages to understand.  

• Like 1

My dyslexic son is taking American Sign Language for a World Language credit instead of a traditional world language class. This was recommended to me by a local mom who's son also has dyslexia. Her son loved ASL and did very well in it. It's my son's favorite subject this year. He plans to take ASL II next year.

More and more colleges accept ASL as a language credit. In fact all the colleges my ds has looked into accept it and he can also continue the ASL college level classes once he's there. 

• Like 2