Menu

Rhyming Dictionary for DIY Phonics Lessons

Hunter

I recently read a phonics curriculum where the author credited one rhyming dictionary after another, and no other resources. I went and looked at some today. Ummmm... do other phonics authors use these too and just not link us to such a useful resource for fear we will realize we don't need what they are selling, and can just buy a $5.99 paperback right off the shelf at B&N?

I bought the Merriam-Webster Pocket version, but this larger version is almost the same.

http://www.amazon.com/Merriam-Websters-Rhyming-Dictionary-Merriam-Webster/dp/0877798540

Page 108 has "eave". The dictionary respelling is "ev" with a long vowel mark over the "e". Words are listed with different phonograms that all make the long e sound followed by v. So you have eve, sleeve, believe, leave and many more. One syllable words are listed first and then compound words and multi-syllable words.

So if you are making up your own literature based spelling lessons, or looking for more words similar to a word the child is misspelling, you just look up rhyming words, and if you are teaching dictionary respellings you can go over those, and then review all/some of the phonograms that have the same sound.

Compare this with the price and bulk of something like Natural Speller.

https://books.google.com/books?id=NIVvUpUTuFQC&printsec=frontcover&dq=natural+speller&hl=en&sa=X&ei=iJU5VZPKBubksASl6IGoBg&ved=0CB0Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=natural%20speller&f=false

• Like 2

Back in the mid 90's when I didn't have any textbooks at all to afterschool my boys, during the summers, they used to cut out pictures from magazines and newspapers and paste them in the middle of a page. Then they would write a few descriptive words about the picture. Then use some thesauri to look up synonyms for the words.

Usually they would do each word and it's synonyms in it's own color.

Sometimes they would draw additional features on the pictures to make them more interesting.

I would have loved to have been able to add spelling lessons along with those vocabulary lessons. I think we might have even had a rhyming dictionary, but I didn't know how to use it beyond writing rhyming poetry.