Menu

Placement Test for OPGTR?

mbradshaw80

My daughter was taught to read using 100 EZ lessons, has been doing Explode the Code online since then, but I'm not really liking the online version. I would like to continue in her phonics instruction with OPGTR, but I'm not sure where to start with her. I know it's not at the beginning. Does anyone know if there is a placement test available for it?

Short Answer: There is NOT a placement test but I would start OPGTR in the middle of the short vowel words. I would skip the CVC words and start at the beginning of the section that teaches blending and digraphs for short vowel words. So reading words like "ship" "snag" and "skip". Each lesson in OPGtTR has sentences, so I would have her read the sentences for all of those lessons rather than go through all of the words. Compact and do 2-3 lessons a day as you progress through all the sub-topics within the book.

If you do not already own a copy of OPGTR, then a comparable and free alternative would be the Ultimate Phonics (UP) word and sentence list. And for your consideration here is a much longer post that I wrote about 100EZ vs OPGTR

Do you have OPGTR? I would just flick through and start with whatever lesson she doesn't know. The readings are so short if there are a few blends she needs, read those pages. Check in around lesson 75 where it hits hard and soft consonants with long vowels. I agree that you can do 2-3 lessons a day until you hit where you need to be. My son had a reading explosion where it all started to click and we have been doing 2 lessons a day for a month now. It only takes 15 minutes total to do that so if she has more focus than my wiggly guy you will be caught up quickly.

Yes, we already have the book (I'm using it for my younger daughter). Just to clarify, my daughter can already read chapter books...around the Boxcar Children level. But, I feel like she still needs phonics instruction such as the actual rules, syllabication, etc. But, now that I'm looking, I don't even see syllable rules unless I'm just missing them. I don't want to skip too far ahead in the book in case the book introduces things in a different order than the other resources we have used and I accidentally skip over something that she hasn't been taught. But I also don't want to waste a bunch of time going over things that she already knows. Wish there was a placement test :/ 

Yes, we already have the book (I'm using it for my younger daughter). Just to clarify, my daughter can already read chapter books...around the Boxcar Children level. But, I feel like she still needs phonics instruction such as the actual rules, syllabication, etc. But, now that I'm looking, I don't even see syllable rules unless I'm just missing them. I don't want to skip too far ahead in the book in case the book introduces things in a different order than the other resources we have used and I accidentally skip over something that she hasn't been taught. But I also don't want to waste a bunch of time going over things that she already knows. Wish there was a placement test :/ 

You don't want OPGTR; you want a good spelling program. We've liked Spelling Workout and AAS, but there are lots of options. 

All About Spelling teaches the syllables and phonics rules. Thoroughly. My kids (and I) learned all sorts of things I'd never even heard of.

It does not give a list of words for the kids to learn that are random and don't really follow the rules. (I'm not being clear, but I've looked at a few spelling programs that just teach kids to memorize lists of words with minimal instruction on why they're prounounced or spelled the way they are). AAS gives the rules of phonics and spelling and then provides examples that follow the rules. There are cards with the rules printed on them so you can pull them out and review the rules at any time. There are cards with the example words.

I hate teaching spelling, but at least I know that when I'm using AAS, they're actually learning how to spell and not just memorizing a few lists in a vacuum.