Menu

Eating plan recommendation? Like whole 30, but with carbs?u

SpecialClassical

Hello, this might sound a little nutty, but I seem to need an actual eating plan in order to eat in a healthful manner. I was able to follow The Whole 30 without too much trouble and now I am looking for something similar that includes whole grain carbs. I never got to the energy stage with Whole 30. My husband was the same and we concluded that we need carbs.

It needs to be fairly easy and use normal food because we are moving soon and I don't have hours upon hours to spend reading and preparing special recipes. By normal I mean basic ingredients, not normal American diet. My father has type 2 diabetes and I am pretty sure I'm going to be considered prediabetic soon if I don't make permanent changes. I'm really good about exercising, it's controlling my diet that is a big challenge. I eat lots of whole foods, good fats, whole grains, etc. but I need a plan to follow so that I don't eat too much. I do eat too much sugary food when I'm not on a plan, but if I could have a small chocolate square or two a day or two servings of dessert a week, that would be great and I could stick to it. As long as it is planned ahead of time, I seem to be able to stick to it.

Also, it can't be that I sit down and come up with a plan based on all the good knowledge I have. Psychologically, that doesn't work for me and I will cheat. Maybe if I did that with a trainer or dietician it would work, but not on my own. The other thing is that if I am following a specific plan to avoid diabetes, people (meaning my mother, mostly) aren't as pushy about my restrictive diet.

I hope this makes sense. Thank you!

Take your fist and set it beside your plate. Squish all your food together and if there is more there than the size of your fist, you have too much.

It takes a whole lifetime to become overweight, yet, we expect miracles in a few months. The right way can be found easily by looking down one's arm.

• Like 1

Try getting your carbs from squash, sweet potatoes, and fibrous fruit first. If you're going to add anything else in, safe starches like white rice are fairly neutral if you can handle the blood sugar spike. The Perfect Heath Diet is one I tried and unfortunately it was too starchy for me, but it is a well formulated plan for many people and the Jaminets are wonderful :)