Menu

Bread Bakers -- Question about Adapting to Gluten Free

LisaKinVA

I'm not GF, and don't bake GF.  A friend of mine IS GF (necessity).  I'd like to make her a "No Fuss Focaccia" (AKA King Arthur Flour Blitz Bread) to go with the Cauliflower Pizza Casserole (she just had her 4th baby...she has 4 under 6) I am making for the family.

I believe the commissary has a GF flour blend -- would that be okay?  Or, should I mix a GF flour blend with maybe a GF pizza flour blend?  Or, would there be something better?

It's only the flour part I'm nervous about -- everything else should go smoothly (my signature spices and cheese blends ;) )

Thanks!

Have you already asked if she is okay with you making it? I wouldn't allow my sons to eat something baked by someone who doesn't normally bake GF because I would be worried about cross-contamination. 

Most GF bread dough will look more like cake batter and can't be kneaded, so if you do make it, don't freak out if that happens. If the flour blend already has xanthan gum in it you could probably use it, but if it does not then you will need to add that separately. A good ratio is 1/2 t. xanthan gum per 1 c. of flour mix.

• Like 3

GF baking isn't very easy to jump into, its totally and completely different, as said if your mix doesn't have a xanthum gum or guar gum you'll need to add it. It will be a different consistency, you need to watch what kind of pots and pans and utensils you use, no wood, stoneware, etc- anything that is porous that you have will be entirely contaminated and unuseable, even if it is "clean." I'm also assuming that all the spices that you use were individual spices that you mixed, even then some spices are marked as contaminated, so that is something to check.

• Like 2

Have you already asked if she is okay with you making it? I wouldn't allow my sons to eat something baked by someone who doesn't normally bake GF because I would be worried about cross-contamination.

This. Some people have bodies that are much more sensitive towards gluten cross-contamination than others.

Most GF bread dough will look more like cake batter and can't be kneaded, so if you do make it, don't freak out if that happens. If the flour blend already has xanthan gum in it you could probably use it, but if it does not then you will need to add that separately. A good ratio is 1/2 t. xanthan gum per 1 c. of flour mix.

My daughter is gluten free and very sensitive to cross contamination. She won't eat anything made in another kitchen. If you want to cook something for her, (and she's okay with it), maybe buy pre-approved items and go to her kitchen to cook? It's a little weird to suggest, but it's worked out great for us. 

My things are stainless steel (mixer, pans, etc.) She's not celiac or allergic, but is sensitive. The recipe does not require kneading, so it would go from mixer to pan to oven. I do have xanthan gum and guar gum on hand, and yes...only spices, no spice mixes. And the kitchen will get a thorough cleaning before hand as well.

You should still ask. There are only a few people I trust to cook things that are safe for my daughter and me to eat. Even the best intentions can lead to pain and sickness.

I have asked. She is happy with the menu I have offered.

• Like 1

You might want to check out Gluten Free on a Shoestring blog for bread recipes. Nicole released a bread book last year, but the recipes generally use some specialty ingredients. The ones on her blog (generally) don't, though.

All-purpose gf flour is not as "all purpose" as AP wheat flours. Pamela's artisan blend (blue bag), Better Batter, and Cup-4-Cup are all pretty all purpose, but Bob's Red Mill is bean based and would not be usable in any recipe that called for a different or "all purpose".

I've known some people who were sensitive but not Celiac and they didn't react as much, so things are probably fine, especially since you checked. :) I agree with the above, the Pamela's artisan mix or mix it with a gf pizza mix. I looked up the recipe and if I had to make it, I would use some type of pizza flour or the Pamela's artisan or bread mix (but not the pancake mix).