Menu

How would you handle this?

PuddleJumper1

I'd personally just reassure the younger member that it wasn't the case, no matter what anyone else says, and take the older member aside and request respectfully that they leave it be.

I'd personally just reassure the younger member that it wasn't the case, no matter what anyone else says, and take the older member aside and request respectfully that they leave it be.

:iagree:  I'm glad I stopped typing and read the new response because this is a much more succinct version of what I was going to say.

I agree, see if you can talk directly to the younger member.  Explain that you have heard that someone else may have misunderstood the situation or is inadvertently making incorrect assumptions (I would be careful not to say anything negative about the other person since that could cause issues further down the road) and you care and want to clear the air.  

And for the other person, yes, maybe you can contact them, too and respectfully ask them to clarify what they are saying and why.  Then explain your own position and express hope that this can be dropped without further heartache.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

Are you in any contact with this person normally?  Do you have an actual relationship with them where they would see by the way you treat them that you are not angry?  

We do not have a great deal of contact with them, however, the level of contact we have now is no different than before this occurred. There would be nothing in my interaction with this person to make them think I was angry with them. 

Bring it up to the younger person. Say that you haven't thought of the incident in years, but you heard that some people think you're still mad. You're not. Done.

Now, for the other person, ask them why they have been talking about you. Were they assuming you were still mad or something?

This is one of those situations where two nice up-front, though gentle, conversations are required.

• Like 3