Menu

Have any of you finished MM7A and moved to AOPS? If so, which?

walkermamaof4

We went from MM6 (the old version) to Lial's Pre-A, so I can't answer directly.  But we then went to AoPS Algebra after doing two chapters (2 and 9, if I remember correctly?) in AoPS Pre-A, because they were not covered adequately (IMO) in Lial's. No problems so far.

Personally, I wish we had gone with AoPS Pre-A from the start.  We didn't do the whole AoPS Pre-A curriculum after Lial's, because DD was very upset at the thought of "repeating" pre-algebra.  I really don't think you can go wrong with spending the time on the concepts that AoPS covers in its pre-algebra course.  My two cents. :001_smile:

• Like 2

Thanks all. I had him take the placement tests and he def needs to do the prealg class. I think I'll order it and have him start it and then decide if we should do the online class. I hear the pace is fast. That is the only thing that concerns me with the online class. But maybe he needs the challenge.

Thanks all. I had him take the placement tests and he def needs to do the prealg class. I think I'll order it and have him start it and then decide if we should do the online class. I hear the pace is fast. That is the only thing that concerns me with the online class. But maybe he needs the challenge.

The pace of prealgebra class isn't fast.

My son is also signed up for theWTM AoPS Pre-Algebra class for fall.  We don't use MM though so I'm not much help on that.  My son has done through Singapore 5 and also done MUS Epsilon and Zeta (both were very easy for him but he needed more fraction work).   My son did fine on the AoPS Pre-Algebra placement test however the book does look very challenging.  The placement test seems almost too easy compared to a lot of the material in the book.  I have been back and forth on having him do the class but my dh thinks he is up for the challenge.  He is very good at math and I'm hoping he will do fine with it.   I think this is a new offering this year so it is hard to know how demanding a class it will be and it is the very first year any of my kids are taking a class online so I'm not sure what to expect.  

My son is also signed up for theWTM AoPS Pre-Algebra class for fall. We don't use MM though so I'm not much help on that. My son has done through Singapore 5 and also done MUS Epsilon and Zeta (both were very easy for him but he needed more fraction work). My son did fine on the AoPS Pre-Algebra placement test however the book does look very challenging. The placement test seems almost too easy compared to a lot of the material in the book. I have been back and forth on having him do the class but my dh thinks he is up for the challenge. He is very good at math and I'm hoping he will do fine with it. I think this is a new offering this year so it is hard to know how demanding a class it will be and it is the very first year any of my kids are taking a class online so I'm not sure what to expect.

I'm on my phone so I can't see siggys. How old is your son?

Can you post a link to the WTM Aops fall class. I didn't know there was one for wtm. Thanks!

I don't know how to link on my phone, but the site is wtmacademy dot com. Just look under courses and you'll see it. I'll send link later from home if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Can you tell me why folks do this class instead of the one through AOPS? How will I ever keep up with all of the world's offerings for homeschoolers? lol

I can tell you why *I* plan to do WTMA's class: we're doing one other class with them and I like the idea if using just one provider (same interface, calendar, payment system, etc). Also, I've been intimidated by many accounts of AOPS courses being very fast-paced and compressed into less than a full school-year. I also like that WTMA's class is using the Singapore 6 IP books, too.

I also like that WTMA's class is using the Singapore 6 IP books, too.

I am so curious how they are going to work it. Singapore IP books are meaty and certainly challenging, requiring time commitment. At least in aops preA, you can't really skip any problems. The problems are unique and not repetitive. It really would destroy the book if you skip a chunk out of it. I guess I don't understand what the marriage of those two programs is suppose to accomplish. I have one aops kid and one SM kid, so I see clearly why one would shoes one over the other.

This isn't a question directed at you. I am just musing.

I am so curious how they are going to work it. Singapore IP books are meaty and certainly challenging, requiring time commitment. At least in aops preA, you can't really skip any problems. The problems are unique and not repetitive. It really would destroy the book if you skip a chunk out of it. I guess I don't understand what the marriage of those two programs is suppose to accomplish. I have one aops kid and one SM kid, so I see clearly why one would shoes one over the other.

This isn't a question directed at you. I am just musing.

I'll let you know by this time next year...  :laugh:

• Like 1

On the class page it does have a link to the course syllabus.  It doesn't really break down how the Singapore IP books are going to be used though.  

http://www.wtmacademy.com/courses/2015-2016-full-year/pre-algebra-aops-singapore-methods/

My son is signed up for Session 2- Tues/Thurs.  He is turning 11 this summer.  We have never done an online class before for any of my kids so I have no idea what to expect.  We did watch the WTM Academy sample class to get an idea of how it will work.  I am expecting it will take considerably more time than we are currently spending on math.  My son just does not seem challenged by what we've been doing and I'm wanting to challenge him.  I'm hoping he isn't overwhelmed by it though.  

• 2 months later...

Could anyone give me the link for AoPS Pre-Algebra placement test ?WTMA Pre Algebra AOPS(My only concern is that if student get stuck in any problem in homework then would teacher be available to help the student at no charge?As I am a non Mathy person so asking this question before registration because I would be no help in Maths at all)Any clue?