Menu

Virginian's on the East Coast...

GSMP

You're in the Tidewater area....they are expecting coastal flooding along with the usual.

Watching to see where Ike is going to hit. Hopefully it will track out into the mid Atlantic and miss the coast all together.

http://www.stormpulse.com/tropical-storm-hanna-2008

Here is a great site to track if you want to look.....stay safe.

My kids enjoyed Isabelle....they were just saying THEY would enjoy another hurricane.

They are nuts!!

Governor Kaine has declared a state of emergency due to the arrival of TS Hanna. Expect rain, tornadoes and high winds.

This was sent to me by the Rescue Squad I volunteer with....thought I would pass it on.....

ahhhh... when?:scared:

I will never get use to hurricanes.

Give me an earthquake anyday.

Guest Virginia Dawn

We happen to be well above flood level, but wind damage can be devastating around here. The last hurricane gave us a 3 day power and water outage. Luckily our town purchased a separate generator for the city water supply after the last fiasco.

ahhhh... when?:scared:

I will never get use to hurricanes.

Give me an earthquake anyday.

We are expected to have rain by tomorrow evening? It will only be like a very bad thunderstorm if it retains its TS status. You should be fine...just get your candles and flashlights ready in case you need them.

We happen to be well above flood level, but wind damage can be devastating around here. The last hurricane gave us a 3 day power and water outage. Luckily our town purchased a separate generator for the city water supply after the last fiasco.

Isabelle took out power lines somewhere on Quantico that left us with out power for nearly two weeks. We bought loads of ice and and an extra grill. I ended up getting pretty handy on grilling frozen pizza, scrambled eggs and toast, fried potatoes, spaghetti.....we hit the local thrift store and bought a cheap set of pans that I could use on the grill.

They enjoyed the reading by the oil lamps and the quiet. Well not too quiet for all the people on our street that went out and bought generators.

The funniest part was that I was the only one on the street who had a back up phone along with the cordless. Cordless doesn't work with out electricity....! We have a land line phone....My phone made its way up and down our street.

Thanks for the heads-up!!

We have a branch of the Potomac River in our backyard.

Time to make sure the generator's hooked up!

Must go to the grocery store, too!!!

AHHHHH!!!!! :willy_nilly:

The Universal Hurricane Chant:

Must.get.to.store. Must.buy.bread. Must.buy.milk. Must.buy.toilet.paper. ;)

we are preparing.

DH works for public safety so he is going to be busy setting up the EOC etc by tomorrow. By tomorrow we probably won't see him much til next week, this is just part of his job. Last night we stocked up on water, batteries etc. Tonight we are making sure our hurricane box is ready (we tend to steal from it when we need something) Dh is out getting gasoline for the generator. Ds has a check list to go through for the hurricane box. He gets life skills credit working on this. We are 1 mile, as the crow flys, from the beach and live at sea level. Our roads to leave the neighborhood flood with small amounts of heavy rain we we have to decide early whether to bug out or not. At least my MIL is out of town visiting with another son so we don't have to worry about her. Basically I don't freak out at these things and our ds is cool about it too. We make sure we are prepared and deal with what comes our way. Thanks for issuing the heads up to everyone. Stay safe all!!!

Well, I have to say that I'm a bit worried here as this is our first storm. I know that's weird since we've been in the Navy for 10+ years but we've always managed to miss them, or they miss us I should say.

My dh just called to say his ship is being sent out so I'll have no help from him.

I guess I'll have to go out and get some bottled water. I have tons of soda but no water in the garage. Hopefully since we're a pretty good distance from the ocean (Chesapeake) we won't have to worry about storm surge or anything. Last night DH and put in all our outside toys etc that could be moved in.

Hopefully this will just be a lot of rain and wind without too much damage. We have only 3 tiny trees in our yard (under 6 feet) but our neighbor behind us has a ton of huge trees which worries me a bit with the wind.