Menu

Luke's Life List and Luke's School List: oldschool scope and sequences

Hunter

Does anyone use the Joyce Herzog Luke's lists?

http://starrweavings.blogspot.com/2013/05/joyce-herzog-lukes-life-list-lukes.html

I think these are part of the Easter sale at Currclick that I think ends today.

http://www.currclick.com/browse.php?keywords=luke%27s&x=0&y=0&author=Joyce+Herzog&artist=&pfrom=&pto=&sdate_from=&sdate_to=&stime_from=&stime_to=

If you have seen these lists, what do you think? These are definitely not neoclassical. For example there are only 8 artist's mentioned and none of them are Renaissance; I'm assuming to avoid all that nudity. EDIT: I found 3 on the previous page.

Science is divided by days of creation.

I see a big emphasis towards special needs students.

The School list says it's K-8. The grammar topics are less rigorous than I am used to seeing listed for anything labeled as including 7-8. I am so used to seeing advanced grammar being crammed into 7-8 textbooks or even earlier. By the 7-8 books I'm always using them behind. I think maybe I agree with this.

I find these guides interesting.

There are definitely objectives that are NOT meant for special needs children, but there are other objectives that I would only use with special needs children. Having those special needs objectives would definitely allow a mom to slow down and spend more time in community places of business and completing chores and be able to document that time as "school".

Many included objectives and skipped objectives are geared towards conservative Christianity.

The Luke's Lists cover a lot of objectives not well covered or not covered at all in the Kathryn Stout guides.

Obviously Bible is covered in the Life List, and not at all by Stout, but the geography, civics and economics are much better covered by Herzog.

Stout also doesn't cover music, art, home ec. or physical education. I can't remember any literature lists at all in Stout, either, but I may just be forgetting.

For history, Stout lists broad objectives and then lists resources. Herzog lists more detailed objectives.

Stout's literary analysis, composition, and spelling is more rigorous and explicit. Grammar is about equal.

There really isn't all that much overlap in these 2 series, at all.

I find these guides interesting.

There are definitely objectives that are NOT meant for special needs children, but there are other objectives that I would only use with special needs children. Having those special needs objectives would definitely allow a mom to slow down and spend more time in community places of business and completing chores and be able to document that time as "school".

Many included objectives and skipped objectives are geared towards conservative Christianity.

I know this is litlte late for the currclick sale... sorry about that.

I heard Joyce give her workshops years ago when she was first doing the Luke's List.  During those workshops the discussion was how to teach special needs learners with the basics in the academic objectives.  At one point Joyce sold a very scaled down history/geography kind of book with some activities that she had written.  Although the lists can look like objectives for all students, the methods Joyce talked about were intended for those with learners who couldn't keep up with average stuff and needed scaled back and hands on.    I can remember (although it has been a long time!) that I felt like she gave permission to be realistic with keeping a special needs student moving forward and not sweating what you didn't cover, but being confident with what you were covering.

With that said, it doesn't mean you couldn't use the lists and require more depth.  yes, it would be easy to remove faith aspects or alter for other faiths in my opinion.

maybe her lists have changed dramatically since then (though I don't think so), but in combination with everything else she was doing, these lists were intended for family with special needs children (as in delayed, not just struggling with learning to read)  Her workshops were a lot of encouragement that yes, we can homeschool with special needs learners and graduate them. Joyce was a breath of fresh air in workshops.   I remember enjoying Rx for your Special needs.    She gave a very realistic look from perspective of classroom teacher.

(edit:  however, I never got or used her lists for our iep stuff.  I gleaned from workshops and did other stuff. and of course, I didn't 100% agree with everything she thought on social studies, religion etc.)

anyway, I hope you got the list while the price was excellent and can use them for your needs.

• Like 1

I see those OOP history books used, but it looks like they are no longer available.

The civics and economics claim to be based on the bluestocking press books and seem biased. The last few American history objectives are extremely biased too. The social studies is just not going to be palatable to the average homeschooling family. I think some people would even find some of the vocabulary chosen inflammatory.

I only bought the Luke's Lists. They do INCLUDE objectives geared to special needs, but the lists are FAMILY lists that definitely also include objectives beyond most special needs children.

I'm glad I bought the lists, and I'm glad I got them on sale. I'm glad I could afford to print big chunks of the lists. But there is some harshness in the vocabulary that prevent me from recommending them without some warnings.

These lists are of USE to families with special needs, but I would not call these lists special needs lists. The political and religious objectives outnumber and overpower the special needs objectives, in my opinion.

There is some difficult to understand formatting. There is some repetition that confuses me and appears to be a mistake. There are areas that really are not done as well as they could be.

I cannot use these lists as more than a resource. I cannot use them as my main checklist. They are more aggressive than I am comfortable using directly with students or for recordkeeping that will be seen by others. I'm understanding now why these lists are not more popular. I'm glad to own them, though. They are interesting.

I am fond of lists even though I am not a every item must have a check person.  I am sure you've seen The Checklist by Cindy Downes.  http://www.oklahomahomeschool.com/checklist.html What do you think of this comparatively?

I have this checklist SOMEWHERE on a thumbdrive. I remember the history being impossibly long to complete. Endless lists of topics I COULD cover are not so helpful to me. I can get something similar and better from the outlines at the end of the major articles in Worldbook Encyclopedia.

I don't remember this as being a "to do" list.

• 2 weeks later...