Menu

Favorite (easy!) couscous recipes?

medawyn

I have finally rid my pantry of most "convenience" foods, with the exception of one can of mushroom soup (to be used for my annual "mushroom rice" craving as made by my grandmother - tastes just like nostalgia), cold cereal because my DH will have nothing else for breakfast, and - when I'm pregnant - Kraft Mac 'n Cheese, because apparently nothing combats my morning sickness like florescent orange cheese.

AND Near East Couscous mixes.  They are just so darn easy.  And full of sodium.  With no fiber.  But when I'm making dinner while nursing a baby or wiped out after bed/bath chaos, it's nice to have a five minute, no work side.

I know cooking couscous is easy in general.  I have a fantastic roasted veggie couscous that I make on occasion, but it's nothing like "boil water, dump spice pack, dump pre-measured cous".  I don't want to chop, but I will measure-ish.

I make couscous with garbanzo beans. I cook a lot of beans and freeze them, but you could use canned too. I cook the couscous in the microwave, add the beans, and then add lots of olive oil, chopped garlic, cayenne, and salt. Super easy. You could add other spices like coriander or cumin if you wanted, or onions.

• Like 1

A few years ago my Trader Joes demoed this and it is yummy. Cook up a box of couscous and then add in a tub of pre-made bruschetta (I use less, so add to your taste). Add some Parmesan and some pepper. It's better cold so make ahead.

ETA: oops, I forgot...TJs used feta cheese. Parm cheese is my cheat because I don't often have feta cheese on hand.

• Like 1