Menu

s/o skip counting in Beast Academy

In another thread a couple of people mentioned the skip counting chapter in Beast Academy.

mamabear2three said:

Yes, but if you haven't looked at the skip counting chapter in Beast 3A, it's not normal skip counting - the problems even made my head hurt!

Seconding what MamaBear said about how the chapter in Beast Academy 3A is not really about "skip counting." A lot of it is about math that's usually not introduced in elementary school.

I don't have Beast Academy and my ds is long past elementary, so I'm not likely to buy it. But now I'm curious! What kind of problems are in this skip counting chapter?

Here are a few:

Alex begins at 4 and skip-counts by 7s. Lizzie starts at 4 and skip-counts by 6s. What is the smallest number after 4 that Alex and Lizzie both say?

There are between 50 and 60 students in the Beast Academy choir. When the choir stands in rows of 8 there is one extra member. How many students are in the Beast Academy choir?

How many weights would you need to balance 39 grams using only 11-gram and 7-gram weights?

Thanks! Great problems.

You know, I seriously think that selections from Beast Academy would be excellent training for anyone who was going to teach elementary school math.

You're not kidding, I knew I'd reach a point where I would need a lifeline for math and we're getting there way faster than I imagined! Time to put some late nights in getting the math education I never received.

• Like 1

We are right in the middle of this chapter! I love it. DD is loving it too. But she's bummed that there are so many practice pages for this section. I liked the hundreds part section where they taught skip counting by nine is going down one and to the left one. I used it to teach my 5th grade math hating student.