Menu

Language Arts-Reinforcing Games

My children LOVE playing games. We have quite a few (Qbitz, Presto-Chango, Zeus on the Loose, Rush Hour, Sum Swamp, Sequence (Numbers),  etc), but they mostly reinforce mathematical concepts. This is probably a silly question, but what are some games that reinforce simple spelling and literacy? We spend about 30 minutes per day playing educational games.  I have a weak speller in DS9 and a reluctant reader in DSalmost-6 (I know he's young, but I'd just like to gently touch on things). In any case, are there games that might suit? 

We play sight word games but none are commercially bought. Sight words.com has some good ones (chutes and ladders, bean bag toss, fishing, etc). But instead of just reading the sight words we spell too. Maybe have a stack of sight word cards for regular board games and to get a turn they have to be spelled properly?

Also, scrabble or that other game with letters you have to spell words with: I forget! Eta-- boggle!

Bananagrams is popular and the company makes a few different games.

Magnetic poetry, which we also use for practice building good sentences.

The Bananagrams company has a lot of games. We like Appletters, but all the games I've seem from them are good and each has a slightly different focus and age range.

Yes, mad libs.

And Scrabble, Junior

Also I think that telling progressive stories together fuels literacy in some ways.  Do it in the car.  Each person makes up the next sentence or paragraph.

Also in the car, look for the alphabet in order in road signs and license plates.

Poetry--pick adjectives for something, everyone picks two, turn them into free verse

Play with "A Kick In The Head" to experiment with poetic forms.

Make sight word flash cards, and leave messages on the fridge with them (with magnets)