Menu

Computer science/coding for G.9 beginner?

Can someone suggest a beginner class for coding for my DD? She will be in G.9 in the fall and has no previous experience in computer science or coding. I'm asking this at the request of my older DS. DS is taking AP computer Science right now, but it was very difficult for him in the first three months because he had no prior knowledge. He struggled through all his assignments as others seemed to do them with ease. Although the course description said no prior knowledge required, most students had done some coding therefore had a relative easier start to the course. Because of this experience, DS strongly suggested that I looked into a beginner coding class for DD, so she wouldn't have to go through the same pain.

Thanks so much!

If she understands basic computer applications such as desk top publishing via Word/Power Point, saving and editing files of different types etc then I would start with Web Design. Use HTML it is very straight forward and you can start with a simple book.

Web Design can really help kids develop planning, attention to detail without being as frustrating as programming. It has a quicker "pay off". You just load your page with your web browser and see your end result in about 2 seconds.

Once kids have a grip with HTML and CSS and how the parts work together then you can start with JavaScript which is a web scripting language but is very similar to basic programming and will integrate seamlessly with her web pages.

• Like 2

Thank you, mom2bee.

She does have basic computer skills like Word and Power Point, and enjoys working on computer graphics. Now thinking back, she did a few weeks of computer programming through the city's park and recreation program. I think she will love web design, do you have a book or website you can suggest? I remember hearing about Teen Coder, anyone has any experience?

• Like 1

Both of my dc's started with Code Academy http://www.codecademy.com/. Great program with really nice people and FREE. My son loves to code and the moderators were great to him as he learned.

We had problems with the teen coder books. Have them both and never really were able to get them to work.... the free software was the problem on our laptop as I remember. Gave up whe we found code academy.

Coursera also has a free python class from Rice University that was helpful.

• Like 3

Both of my dc's started with Code Academy http://www.codecademy.com/. Great program with really nice people and FREE. My son loves to code and the moderators were great to him as he learned.

We had problems with the teen coder books. Have them both and never really were able to get them to work.... the free software was the problem on our laptop as I remember. Gave up whe we found code academy.

Coursera also has a free python class from Rice University that was helpful.

I would also recommend something along these lines.  Go ahead and learn an object-oriented language like Java (not JavaScript) or Python, but do so without any obligation to code algorithms, design principles, rules, etc.  CodeAcademy, coursera are good options, and there are tons of beginner options available online or as books.  DS started with "Beginning C++ Through Game Programming," which was basically just a guided walkthrough of the language.

• Like 1

Trinqueta asked me to sign her up for two  python based classes at Landry even though it meant giving up our Friday coop. Adventures in Raspberry Pi involves building a simple computer and using a Linux-based operating system and python to program it. Learning Python with Minecraft is self-explanatory. T's not much of a techy so I'd guess these have broad appeal. They're very reasonable if you pre-buy generics, horrendously expensive if you don't (that disclaimer should be on every Landry post!)

Thank you for the suggestion. I just took a quick look at the link and I'm wondering if there is a different between the website and the app. Which one did your children use? Were they able to work through it on their own without help from you? I know nothing about coding, I don't think I will be much help for her and her brother will be away at university.

I will also look at the coursesea one as well, but I feel my DD might feel intimated by university courses.

Thank you so much for the suggestions, they are very helpful!

• Like 1

The quote did not come out right, sorry! I'm new at this and will take some time to learn to do things the right way.

Thank you so much for all the suggestions, I now have something to start with. You are all amazing!

• Like 1

Well DD (6th grader) started Codecademy.com last night.  She started on HTML and is up in her room giggling. I went up and she was excited to show me what she is doing.

This may be a very good fit for her. She nor I have any exposure to coding (or for me, really anything related to technology). At least she has a technology class in 6th grade PS (her favorite class) where they work on the Bamboo tablet and photoshop and the such.

And to think, another great educational modality I learn on this site and now DD is benefitting from it.

Thank You

• Like 1

Thank you for the suggestion. I just took a quick look at the link and I'm wondering if there is a different between the website and the app. Which one did your children use? Were they able to work through it on their own without help from you? I know nothing about coding, I don't think I will be much help for her and her brother will be away at university.

I will also look at the coursesea one as well, but I feel my DD might feel intimated by university courses.

Thank you so much for the suggestions, they are very helpful!

Neither dc knew that there was an app so they used the website! :lol:

My ds (who is very good at coding) said to tell you it is important for your daughter to figure it out on her own. He said the secret to learning to code well is self reliance. He spent some time as a moderator on code academy and I know they can ask questions in the forums and the moderators or others answer. It really is self study. I know absolutely nothing about coding and my kids know a lot.......remember it is self checking. You code works or it doesn't. If it doesn't you fix it.

• Like 2

Thank you mumto2! I downloaded the app, but DD hasn't tried it yet. I will check the website as well, I guess that's where she can find the forum and ask questions.

Please thank your DS for me as well, I will definitely let her know what he said. She usually gives up on things when it gets hard, I hope this will be interesting enough for her to keep going.

• Like 2