Menu

what would you do with my big room??

We have a cape cod style house, 2 bedrooms up with the master down. The crazy thing is that one of the rooms up is about half the size of the house. If we had our wits about us at the time we should have split the room into 2 (future project).

I'm obsessed with deciding how to use the room. It currently is used as a play room. It contains all the toys, tv and Wii plus a big leather couch. The problem is I don't like spending time in the room because it just seems too big, almost like I can't focus. It's not cozy. The other bedroom is T shaped and smaller,currently holding 2 full beds for our twins. Our room is downstairs.

How would you use these rooms?

Should I make the T shaped room into the school room, plus a few toys? I would then move the boys bedroom into the big room. Keeping it simple with a few pieces of furniture.

OR....should I move our bedroom up into the T room, move the boys bedroom into the big room(w/toys) and use the master bedroom as the school room? We have a large bathroom and closet down that I would continue to use.

Or just keep it the same! Ugh!Thanks for input!

Hmmm... well, if it were me, I would move the twins into the big room with the toys but not the electronics. Move the tv into the T-room and some school stuff. I'd leave my bedroom downstairs.

We have one huge room upstairs that my three boys all share. We keep most of the toys up there as well. The electronics are all downstairs, but ds would let them move the old non digital upstairs with the old gamecube. I have held out on that so far!

If it were me? I'd move the master bedroom upstairs, and move the 'school/rec room' to the downstairs MBR. But if your MRB has a private bath, my DH would not agree, as he has been enjoying having our own bathroom!

I'd rather have the bedrooms isolated, as we don't use them for play (much), and they stay cleaner that way! I prefer to have the school/play room near to the other areas we spend the most time in (kitchen, fam room). Plus, having a door you can close when guests pop over is a bonus (I have one, too!).

Well, *I* think you should post pictures for all of us to see your beautiful home so that we can help you make the best decision.;)

If it were my house I would definitely keep the main floor room as my master bedroom because of the attached washroom and closet.

As for upstairs, could you turn the big room into your schoolroom and divide it with a nice decorative screen? Use 1/2 or 3/4 of the big room for school- complete with leather couch for cozy read-alouds then have a decorative screen to separate this area from where the TV/Wii are? If you have the TV out of view of the schooling area it shouldn't be a big distraction. When the kids have friends over they would be able to use the big room to do crafts/games/toys as well as have video time. That way the bedrooms would stay a bit tidier vs having all the toys in them.

I see two good options.

The first would be putting the boys in the big room, and using the second upstairs room for your schoolroom. If it were *me* though, I would move the toys into their bedroom but would want to keep the couch and TV in the schoolroom.

Another option would be to buy some cool room dividers for the big room, like some screens or those open bookcases that can stand alone in the middle of a room to make a wall of sorts. Then you could use one half of the big room as a playroom with your couch, TV and toys, and the other half of the room as your school space with a nice big table and whatever else you need.

Good luck!! I'm always envious of people with a lot of space, but I can see how it can be just as hard to have too much space as it is to have too little.

Our house is sort of similar, except that we have 3 bedrooms upstairs and the master down. I really didn't like how much of our square footage is in bedrooms (as opposed to communal living area), so what we did was move our bedroom upstairs and turn our master into a playroom/schoolroom. We actually only use two of the bedrooms upstairs as bedrooms--the boys are all in one, the second small one is a sort of storage room/extra playroom/exercise room, and then we sleep in the biggest bedroom upstairs. It works out really well for us.