Menu

WWE 3 to CAP (where to start?)

scootiepie

We will finish WWE3 with my third grader this year and I think he has got it down well enough that WWE 4 would not really add anything at this point.   I'm thinking of switching gears and trying CAP.

I'm wondering, if in doing so, we need to start with Fable or is it OK to start with Narrative?    I think he would like the story selection better in Narrative,

but I don't want to start there if he will be lost not having done Fable first.

I am also wondering about if there is much original/creative writing in this program.   (That might be a deal breaker.   The boy can copy, summarize, narrate well; but ask him to think of something to write on his own and he'll stare at a blank piece of paper for an hour.)  

We went from WWE 3 to W&R Fable with no problem for my reluctant writer. Fable is a gentle step-by-step introduction to writing. DS was so into the Fables that by the time he got to the part where you have to re-write the story, he was eager to do so. I also did the writing assignment along with him so he felt like he had some company. Why don't you print out the sample and see how it goes?

• Like 1

I think you will be fine either way, with a 4th grader who has finished WWE3.  The program is very incremental.  I don't think Narrative 1 is leaps and bounds more difficult than Fable.  If you think the narratives are more appealing than the fables, go for it.  For a newbie writer I wouldn't skip Fable, but for a kid who's done fine with WWE3, he'll be fine.

There are a variety of writing assignments, from expanding, summarizing, rewriting, to eventually writing your own narrative.  But you don't have to do specific writing assignments that you think will be impossible for him.  You can tweak, modify, expand, change, or skip assignments at will.  :)

• Like 1

We went from WWE3 to CAP Fable, and it was perfect for us because my son is a reluctant, though decent, writer. It was the perfect transition and if I had to do it over again that's what I would do. If your child is an excellent and enthusiastic writer I might be tempted just jump into narrative, but considering fable is only one semester long it's not like you're going to lose a lot of time anyway by doing fable. Fable also offered different and more varied assignments the WWE3 did.

We went to Fable after finishing about half of WWE 3. Like others have said, you don't *need* to do Fable to enjoy Narrative, but Fable is a lot of fun!

There are different writing assignments, as Rose mentioned. A lot of pre-writing discussion and thinking goes into those, so that your student shouldn't be left staring at an empty page with noting to say! Most writing assignments are based on a specific text (i.e. rewrite a fable using different characters; summarize a narrative; add dialogue to a story; write a story from a different POV).

We switched from WWE to Fable this year and haven't started Narrative yet.  It has been gentle and built writing stamina.  But you could move through it very quickly if he gets it down well.  There is some copy work and dictation in it, but it mainly focuses on finding the main idea, summary, amplification and rewrite.  Narration does include rewriting and main idea and adds dialogue to amplification, but it focuses on longer writing assignments.  If you feel your son is ready for it and does not need instruction in summary and amplification, I think it is doable.  But if you think he could use some practice in these at all, I would start with Fable.  The stories are short and fun.  Unless he hates fables, I'd personally start with fables because you don't want him to develop negative feelings toward writing just because the assignments are a little too long for him.