Menu

Questions on dual enrollment at community college

My question is what classes my son should take at a community college next year as a senior in our homeschool.  He is enrolled with Kolbe Academy and wants to continue with their history and literature courses.  So far he has done three years of Latin (MODG plans), physical science and biology using Kolbe plans, chemistry (Apologia, locally), and Life of Fred math through Trig.

Options:

1.  take Life of Fred Calculus at home, take physics with a lab at home.

2.  take pre-calculus one semester at CC, calculus or other math second semester;

Take physics one semester at CC, and a second science elective second semester

3. take classes only in the first semester of CC, none the second

4. take only one class per semester at the CC next year.

Factors to consider:

The PSAT score was 227 which may enable him to be a NMSF/NMF.  His talents lie in the verbal areas rather than in math or science.  He has taken no AP classes, and from what he can tell from sample questions, he’s not prepared to take any AP exams.  He would like to attend U of Dallas, Christendom, or Belmont Abbey College.   I think he would benefit from a writing course, perhaps the second semester.  He has 3 1/2 credits of math as of the end of this school year so he needs 1/2 more in senior year. 

Reasons to take classes at the CC include a chance to sharpen his ability to meet deadlines/experience of a classroom and to get a teacher recommendation (the local chemistry class only covers the lab).  I do not intend for him to get credit at a university for any classes taken at a CC.  The CC is free except for fees and books, and the campus is nearby.

I would appreciate your ideas on what to do.  Please ask if you need more info.

*Edited to add he'd rather skip calculus altogether unless he must take it.

Check to make sure the intended course will transfer, but honestly I think one math class fall semester and nothing in the spring is totally reasonable for someone who doesn't intend a STEM major.

If his major requires nothing more, I would actually take math for liberal arts or statistics instead of calculus -- it will be more relevant and hopefully more interesting.

• Like 1

We are advised by more experienced hs moms to start dc in either The College Experience or a class that is a strength.  I did both.

The College Experience:

This course is designed to strengthen skills essential to success in college, with further applications to post-college plans. Included are study and test-taking strategies; effective interpersonal skills; time management techniques; creative and critical thinking skills; college services and resources; educational policies, procedures, regulations and terminology; and library resources, research strategies, and information skills for online, blended, and traditional learning environments.

YMMV.

If he is on track to completing his core classes for graduation, let him take a class in an area that is interesting to him. It could be counted as an elective. Since you want to get another recommendation, I think it should also be where his strength lies.

• Like 2

Does your community college require a math placement test for math and science classes?  Ours does.  His score on such a test might help refine your choices. 

What math would his likely major require at U of Dallas, Christendom, or Belmont Abbey College?  If any of them require Calculus, I'd strongly suggest he do more math his senior year (either at home or at the community college).

Regards,

Kareni