Menu

Magnesium question

ILiveInFlipFlops

I used magnesium oil, though there is little evidence it can be absorbed transdermally. I used it for tooth grinding specifically. The grinding went away, though I'm not going to make any correlation/causation claims. ETA: I'm seeing a couple of studies about transdermal absorption.

• Like 1

Different forms of magnesium seem to work better in different people.

Magnesium citrate seems to have the most GI effects.  Then there are malate and glycinate, which might not have those effects.  Then there's magnesium threonate, which shouldn't either.  But, everyone's different.  (There are many brands for these different forms - I recommend reading reviews and such!)

How much a person will absorb through the skin may also differ.  I tend to think that's a less-reliable method for most people.  It depends on where you want the magnesium to go :).  For example, the spray oil works great for my dh's calf muscles, better than oral citrate form.  But for my ds, on the other hand, I want the mag to go to the brain and the guts - for him I use citrate and/or threonate.

• Like 2

Dr. Sircus' research shows that transdermal mag therapy is the most effect way to absorb mag without stomach issues.  His book, Transdermal Magnesium Therapy is a real good read for this.  YMMV with everyone.  We soak with epsom and mag citrate flakes ..sometimes adding baking soda...  and it makes a huge difference.  The mag spray is just hard for me to remember daily so I am looking into which oral supplement will not give me stomach issues as much, while continuing the soaks.  I make my own spray ..maybe if I made my own lotion..hmmmm...  Natural Calm is on it's way here, ...all great options.  

I am also leery of oral mag supplements b/c of the fillers in them.

• Like 1

I use Jigsaw brand magnesium.

This. It's a sustained release formula.

And this one doesn't have a laxative effect on you? That's my real concern. I already have a health issue (post-gall bladder-removal IBS) that keeps me close to home if I'm not careful, and I can't exacerbate that or I'll lose my mind! 

I have Natural Calm now, but it definitely does have a laxative effect. In fact, that's why I keep it around :lol: But I would love something that has all the other good effects and NOT that one!

• Like 1

And this one doesn't have a laxative effect on you? That's my real concern. I already have a health issue (post-gall bladder-removal IBS) that keeps me close to home if I'm not careful, and I can't exacerbate that or I'll lose my mind!

I have Natural Calm now, but it definitely does have a laxative effect. In fact, that's why I keep it around :lol: But I would love something that has all the other good effects and NOT that one!

Nope. YMMV, of course. I use a little more Calm when I need it, too. 😉

• Like 1

I used magnesium oil, though there is little evidence it can be absorbed transdermally. I used it for tooth grinding specifically. The grinding went away, though I'm not going to make any correlation/causation claims. ETA: I'm seeing a couple of studies about transdermal absorption.

Oh, Tangerine, I forgot to ask: When you used oil for your grinding, where and when did you apply it? I have a terrible, terrible grinding problem, and a mouth guard is just so awful for me that I would love to find some other solution if there's one out there!

• Like 1

Oh, Tangerine, I forgot to ask: When you used oil for your grinding, where and when did you apply it? I have a terrible, terrible grinding problem, and a mouth guard is just so awful for me that I would love to find some other solution if there's one out there!

I applied it to my thighs and upper arms by spraying it in my hand, mixing it with a little lotion to alleviate the burn, and rubbing it in every night before bed.  I also hate the mouth guard.

• Like 1

I applied it to my thighs and upper arms by spraying it in my hand, mixing it with a little lotion to alleviate the burn, and rubbing it in every night before bed.  I also hate the mouth guard.

Thank you!

Spread out the dosage.  I have clients take 1/2 at lunch and 1/2 with dinner.  

If you are having loose stools, your body is not absorbing the magnesium.  

http://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/abcs-of-nutrition/magnificent-magnesium/

:blink:  Well, for pete's sake. If that isn't the most obvious and simple solution, then I don't what is. Thinking outside the box has never been my strong suit :lol: Thank you!