Menu

Looking for stories of good people

PhotoGal

My oldest has been reading about environmental and other issues and was voicing his opinion that most people are "evil." He is especially angry at anyone who would hurt an animal. I would love some stories for him about good people doing good things, especially things that helped animals (as right now, they are higher on his priority list than people...). :)  Any suggestions? He is 11 years old and can read above grade level.

This is a tough one because most stories of people helping animals start out with the terrible circumstances the animals are in in the first place.

This. I HATED reading Black Beauty and the like.

OP, I thought you wanted stories as in "anecdotes" so I came to post a few. LOL. I hope you can find some books for your ds.

Regarding the animal thing, could you find internet stories of people helping animals? Not so long ago, there was a story about a horribly abused elephant who was kept in chains and nearly starved that was rescued in the dark of the night and is now in a rescue with other elephants and loving it. It was a HUGE operation and brought tears to my eyes for what those rescuers did. There is an elephant sanctuary in Tennessee, I believe, that is run solely on donations, so that is a nice story. Ringling Bros just announced they will stop their elephant shows (due to years of pressure from animal lovers, I think). There are rescues that travel around in vans moving animals from crowded shelters to not-so-crowded ones so they can be adopted, rescues dedicated to searching for animals after disasters (hurricanes, tornadoes, etc), rescues that form 'trains' to transport adopted animals to their new homes--- just average animal-loving folks who use their personal vehicles to drive the animals certain distances to the next person (like an animal relay). There are individual people who go out of their way to look for animals on lost pet notices. I encountered one such gentleman yesterday--- he said he "had nothing better to do" and was an avid animal lover. He drove all around for hours looking for a little lost dog that he didn't know. It goes on and on. You may have better luck with that sort of thing than with books that go into lots of sad details.