Menu

AoPS Calculus Online...thoughts please!

I am trying to help DS decide what to do for math next year. He has already taken Intro CP, Intro NT and Inter NT through AoPS apart from standard math courses up to calculus 2 via outsourced mentoring and DE at the community college (they used Stewart 7th ed. for calculus 2). He wants something harder for fall and since he loves calculus, he doesn't mind repeating it with a harder program (but needs something structured, self study with a book doesn't work so well for him anymore).

If you have a DC who has taken AoPS Calculus through the online class, I would love to touch base on average no. of hours per week needed and anything else you can add.

Thanks in advance!

ETA: just found this (thanks regentrude and Kathy!) but it doesn't mention the online class pace/ difficulty.

Have you looked at the schedule? It seems pretty reasonably paced. Some chapters take up five full weeks. I wish my Ds could take it with yours. Sniff. But it goes right over our summer and he will already be doing the woot.

Ruth in NZ

• Like 1

Have you looked at the schedule? It seems pretty reasonably paced. Some chapters take up five full weeks. I wish my Ds could take it with yours. Sniff. But it goes right over our summer and he will already be doing the woot.

Ruth in NZ

I wish that so much too. :001_wub:

I'll tag along on this thread. Ds might be doing the class too. I see the start date isn't listed yet. Do you know when it will start, quark? And is there really no December vacation at all?

Ruth, is there a reading schedule posted somewhere or did you just figure it out based on the topics covered each lesson?

I'll tag along on this thread. Ds might be doing the class too. I see the start date isn't listed yet. Do you know when it will start, quark? And is there really no December vacation at all?

Ruth, is there a reading schedule posted somewhere or did you just figure it out based on the topics covered each lesson?

It was so cool to have Kathy's DD respond that they are planning it for late Sept or so. No day given yet. I looked at the weekly topics and as Ruth says some chapters are spread over a few weeks.

It will be so nice to know someone else taking it! :)

ETA the start date is one more reason to worry a bit...it will straddle two semesters so DS needs to plan what DE courses to take both semesters so he won't be too stretched.

• Like 1

I think they break over christmas. Inter number theory was the same last year iirc.

That is a relief to hear. Precalc has no break from January - June. I'm not thrilled about that, but we'll deal with it. But no break over Christmas would make me cry. :)

If there was a break over xmas, we might consider it. Olympiad geometry had one week off which was definitely not enough. And now precalc without a break is really not ok. I wonder if they have a place for feedback? Also, September would be a better time to start for us.

Are your kids taking the woot?

• Like 1

Ruth, do you remember if Inter NT was over the christmas break when our boys took it? Or maybe it was something else DS signed up for that he cancelled in order to switch to Inter NT. I distinctly remember seeing a fall course that was breaking for a week plus over Christmas last year. Maybe it wasn't Inter NT though. My memory is so bad.

No WOOT here. Juggling too many things and also planning to juggle a few things apart from AoPS Calculus in fall.

It would be awesome if your DS could be in the class too!

• Like 1

If I remember correctly there were 2 weeks without classes in NT, so 3 weeks between the classes.  ds did the homework ahead so he could have the full 3 weeks off.  Olympiad Geometry only had 1 week without classes this past December/January which was not good for us!

Just asked ds and he would rather self study when he has weeks off of his already busy schedule.  He and I are worried that he does not want a actual class running from Feb - April next year, as he has the WOOT and also we are assuming the squad training.  He has to have time to actually get the squad problem assignments completed if he hopes to make the team.  So, sorry, but he will not be taking the class.  sniff.

I know about juggling!!!!  Now we have to add in SAT prep.  ug.

• Like 1

quark, DS is taking AoPS cal right now. For him, the workload is not as much as that of his previous AoPS courses. He estimated the time used for homework was normally between 1- 4 hrs/wk. It might have taken longer than that a couple of weeks when he got stuck on one or two problems. He also has the opportunity taking AP Cal elsewhere. Though the content is not as in-depth as AoPS cal, the workload was much heavier. I was concerned in the beginning of the year that taking both might be too much, but he didn't want to skip AoPS cal. Somehow the practice from his AP might have helped with his AoPS course.

Since your DS has taken DE cal, I would think AoPS cal shouldn't take too much time for him. However, mine didn't have time to go through everything in AoPS book, so it might take more time if yours wants to use the book more thoroughly.

• Like 2

Thank you so much T! Bumping in case anyone else has something to add.

We received the textbook yesterday and I was surprised to see that it's only about as thick as the Intro NT book.

I wish there was an online class with Apostol...we downloaded the free pdf and DS thinks that would be cool to try too but not having the structure of an online class, he and I don't know if he will be consistent with it when he also wants to take a few other courses.

• Like 1