Menu

AoPS Calculus vs Stewart (Kathy????)

Kathy in Richmond and anybody else who has used the book:

we are AoPS fans and have used them from Intro to Algebra through Precalculus. We love the approach.

I am not sure, however, about the calculus text. The description claims that it is the equivalent of a first-year college calculus course, but I looked at the TOC and it has just 300 pages.:confused:

I also have Stewart (6th ed). The first year calc at our university covers ch. 1-6 in first and ch. 7-12 in the second semester... looks like a lot more material.

Is AoPS so much shorter because they come to the point more quickly?

Or because it has fewer practice problems?

Or because it really is just a first-semester course?

Would it be beneficial to use AoPS for the approach and Stewart for additional practice problems?

I appreciate any input , thanks.

We are looking for something that will get DD through calc 1 by August, because it is a prerequisite for her physics course.

Kathy in Richmond and anybody else who has used the book:

we are AoPS fans and have used them from Intro to Algebra through Precalculus. We love the approach.

I am not sure, however, about the calculus text. The description claims that it is the equivalent of a first-year college calculus course, but I looked at the TOC and it has just 300 pages.:confused:

I also have Stewart (6th ed). The first year calc at our university covers ch. 1-6 in first and ch. 7-12 in the second semester... looks like a lot more material.

Is AoPS so much shorter because they come to the point more quickly?

Or because it has fewer practice problems?

Or because it really is just a first-semester course?

Would it be beneficial to use AoPS for the approach and Stewart for additional practice problems?

I appreciate any input , thanks.

We are looking for something that will get DD through calc 1 by August, because it is a prerequisite for her physics course.

Hi regentrude,

OK, I guess that I shouldn't tell you what my dd used for calculus (Calculus for the Forgetful, 150 pages)...:)

AoPS calculus covers two semesters of college calculus, essentially the calculus BC syllabus. Like all AoPS texts, the emphasis is on harder problems and proofs, and it doesn't have any AP-prep built into it.

The coverage of, say, the Mean Value Theorem is much more in depth and proof-based. Stuff like related rates, optimization problems, and techniques of integration are still covered. There are fewer practice problems by far than in a text like Stewart.

AoPS calculus is great for a future math major. Stewart is great for a future engineer or scientist. I like them both a lot.

If a student were to go with AoPS calculus (or what my daughter used), I recommend supplementing with a book like Stewarts or the Barrons AP review guide (cheaper by far) for lots of practice problems, especially if the student plans to sit for the AP exam. That's what I had my daughter do. Also, 8Fill's son is finishing up the AoPS calculus course now, and I'm working with him to prepare for the AP test. He's going through Barron's and some sample FRQs. We are finding that he's super well-prepared for the BC exam; he just needs to get the hang of what the AP graders are looking for in a solution. But he's definitely covered the hows and whys of two semesters of college calculus.

Thanks, Kathy! That was very helpful.

She wants to be a physicist.

So maybe we will use AoPS for the concepts and in-depth understanding (which is something a theoretical physicist definitely needs, almost to teh same extent as a mathematician) and add in Stewart for additional practice and test prep.

I am planning for her to take the AP BC test next year; we have plenty of time before that.

thanks again