Menu

Great news: Janice Campbell's Excellence in Literature Level I is ready!...

I purchased this program. I don't plan to use it this year (dd is too young) but I have read the whole thing. There are nine units all very similar to the example unit. The program is written to the student. The student is expected to research the topics, look up unknown vocabulary and use a writer's handbook when writing papers without specific instruction or worksheets. There are clear instructions on how to write each type of paper required throughout the year - including a sample of each type of paper. It is assumed the student already has the ability to write a standard essay and is familiar with standard literary terms (or capable of learning them on her own.) Each unit builds a bit on the one before. An assignment in one unit may refer back to a previous unit. The reading and writing requirements increase throughout the year. There is a great deal of reading included, but it would be very easy to tailor to the student by limiting which context reading is required.

I purchased LL7 over the summer thinking that was the program I would use through high school, but after reading it over realized I was looking for something different. I think this program will work very well for us. I am happy I purchased it a year ahead as I now know exactly what to focus on this year to prepare dd to use the program next year.

There aren't really any questions which require a response. There are questions meant to enhance reading, thinking and discussion. And then there are one or two essays assigned per unit as well as an author profile to write. There are NOT example responses for each essay. There is a model and sample for each type of paper that needs to be written (approach paper, author profile, literary analysis essay, etc.) And there is a rubric for evaluating the papers.

No, there are no answers to these questions. She considers them questions for the student to think about or focus on while reading. She strongly suggests writing in the focus books or taking notes during reading in order to support answers to these and similar questions when writing essays. The entire guide is written directly to the student. It is designed so that the parent doesn't have to have any role other than grading the papers. The parent can direct assignments, hold discussions, find resources, etc. but that is all optional. She specifically states that the guide is set up like a college course in order to help students learn to study on their own using a syllabus. But, she also states that one of the benefits of homeschooling is the ability to adapt curriculum in whatever way works best for the student and family! :)

This looks really interesting to me.

Can this be used secularly? I see the religion question in the sample but are there questions that are specifically Christian in nature? Like, does this author's view conflict with Jesus's teaching in Acts verse whatever? If there is significant religion, is there enough other material that it can still be used by the secular student? I hope I am making sense here.

Thanks for any help. Ruth in NC

that require answers. "How does Hank Morgan view religion? Do you believe that his views reflect Twain's? Why or why not?"

There are no answers for the teacher?

The curriculum looks great to me, but no teacher guidance is the reason I have not ordered. With 5 dc and a part-time job, I really can't pre-read everything. In order to have a reasonably well-informed discussion with my dc, I need some guidance that is absent from this curriculum. :sad:

Can this be used secularly? I see the religion question in the sample but are there questions that are specifically Christian in nature? Like, does this author's view conflict with Jesus's teaching in Acts verse whatever? If there is significant religion, is there enough other material that it can still be used by the secular student? I hope I am making sense here.

I would consider this to be a completely secular program. I think this is the only unit that even uses the word religion. And there is no reference to God or Jesus just questions about religion. Gulliver's Travels has questions about morality, but does not assume a Christian morality. And one of the units has questions about worldview, again never a mention of a specific worldview.

Some of the links may be to specifically Christian sites. There are so many per unit I have barely skimmed the surface. But none of the links I did go to were religious in nature. It is my plan to check all of the links before each unit and put the ones I find appropriate (I am guessing all of them,) into a folder so my dd can work much of the time on her own. There is also a list of books and poetry she can read on her own for each unit, but I am not yet comfortable with the kids "surfing" the internet so if she needs additional information from the web she will have to search while I am around. :)

There is a page of resources on Christian worldview. Books that would help a student to interpret literature and literary terms from a Christian standpoint and I think books that cover history from a more Christian worldview -to use as references.