Menu

sciences and math needed for homeschool graduation

As my dd has just one year and a few months left in our home school, I have begun to think about what she will need for next year. and math have been the hardest for her. So much vocabulary to use and apply.  As a result, I've had to introduce some topics and then revisit them at a later date. Try some methods and then come up with others that have worked.  Because of that, we haven't covered as much as I would have liked but I feel like what we've covered, she understands, and isn't that our goal?

As she is very artistic (most likely a career in art), I don't see her attending college in the near future, unless she determines in her own mind why she wants to go.  But, I do want to give her the best education she can have that will allow her to do whatever she wants to in the future.

As far as sciences go: she has completed Exploring Creation Series (Apologia) -- Zoology 1 & 2, Astronomy; Bio101 (Olson - DVD) and this year we're doing Power Basics Biology.

As far as Math goes: she has completed Teaching Textbooks 7 & Pre-Algrebra.  She started TT Algebra and is was clear she didn't know what was going on. She completed Danica McKellar's Middle School Math book and now we're using Math Mammoth to cover some topics we've missed: parts of a whole, geometry and graphing.  I'd like to finish the year with Danica McKellar's book Kiss My Math, which is pre-algebra.

Before she graduates, I'd love for her to have some chemistry, physics and anatomy and physiology under her belt. In math, I'd love to get through algebra and either geometry or algebra 2.

Realistically, we're running out of time.  If you were to maximize the time left, what would you consider essential for the special needs student to have been exposed to: in science and math (that she already hasn't seen)?

Thanks!

Why not delay graduation?  Can you give her an extra year to complete her credits?  What sort of evaluations has she had, if any?  Do you know what the underlying causes of her struggles are?  How is her reading?

She might do well with a math program that incorporates a lot of review.  You could give her the placement test for CLE and see where she ends up.  CLE has been a HUGE help here with solidifying math concepts when other programs (including TT and MM) did not work.  You could still keep using Kiss My Math and interweave it with CLE to solidify concepts.

As for higher level science and math, have you looked at the AGS textbooks?  FWIW, you can usually find the materials I linked below on Amazon or Abe books for much cheaper, used.

http://www.wiesereducational.com/products/i_science/33-i_chemistry/high-school-science-ld4591.htm

http://www.wiesereducational.com/products/i_science/33-i_chemistry/ags-chemistry-mm8391.htm

http://www.wiesereducational.com/products/i_science/39-i_physical-science/ags-physical-science-2012-gf3541.htm

http://www.wiesereducational.com/products/e_mathematics/18-e_algebra-pre-algebra/algebra-2-textbook-mm7451.htm

Hope that helps a bit.  

• Like 1

Thanks again OneStepAtATime.  I haven't heard of either AGS or Weiser.  Power Basics is good because the reading level is lower. I love that it has the meat of Biology (the one we're using) and the vital vocabulary but it's not like a typical textbook that can be overwhelming.  I'll check those others out.

• Like 1

What do you expect she will do when she "graduates"--if she is going to be moving out on her own, then she needs basic consumer math, nutrition and health basics and so on more than she needs standard pre-college classes.  If she is going to stay at home while taking art classes, or something like that, then you could have her gradually keep working on her math and science while she does that.

• Like 1

Is this Weiser or AGS you're speaking of?

If you look on the links I sent upthread you will see the reading levels. AGS has lower reading levels but high school content Just like PB but a bit different layout. There are samples you can look at on those links so you can compare to Power Basics and see if AGS might be a good alternative.

Look at CLE Math:  www.clp.org

I switched my son to their pre-algebra this year when it was clear he needed help.  It has been a life-saver.  Pretty clear explanations and a lot of review (which is what he needed to get his head around it all)

• Like 1