Menu

We had a lovely visit at Abilene Christian.....

Joanne

The tour was fabulously organized and the presentations and program and admissions staff and student guiedes were great.

Larsen went into it thinking she had her first two choices, and this bumped one of them. It probably helped that the sophomore who lead our tour paid her extra attention. ;) He was a cute!

Oh, and she liked the academics. ;)

I got the official aid offer. They are **ridiculously** expensive. I would still owe about $13k a year after aid.

• Like 8

The tour was fabulously organized and the presentations and program and admissions staff and student guiedes were great.

Larsen went into it thinking she had her first two choices, and this bumped one of them. It probably helped that the sophomore who lead our tour paid her extra attention. ;) He was a cute!

Oh, and she liked the academics. ;)

I got the official aid offer. They are **ridiculously** expensive. I would still owe about $13k a year after aid.

Joanne, did their "aid" offer include mostly scholarships, grants, and work studies or was it chock full of loans.

I was just wondering if you owing $13,000 included your daughter having the $5500.00 federally backed loan because that one is very low interest rates plus good repayment terms. I would not have any qualms about my child taking out that loan.

Is this a school that will allow you to appeal?

I am glad she had such a good experience! It's an exciting time in their lives, fun to be a part of the process.

• Like 2

Glad it was a good visit as those are always educational and fun (when they are good), but I'm hoping your/her #1 choice leaves you with less to pay...  :grouphug:

Not knowing what your current salary is (nor wanting you to list it), 13K may be a good offer.  We're paying between 1/3 and 1/2 of our monthly take home toward college.  It makes budgeting tight, but for us, it works.

• Like 1

Looking at tuitiontracker.org, most families at Abilene Christian are paying a net price of over 20K per year, even those with low incomes.  Looking at the College Board Big Future website, the typical student has 76% of need met and graduates with $42,000 of debt.

In other words, a 13K net price would be a great financial aid offer for this particular college (depending on what loans are included in the package.)

Have you determined what your budget for college tuition is, and what the maximum value of student loans you will allow your DD to take?  (I'm assuming given your own circumstances that the maximum parent loan is zero.)

• Like 1

http://www.universityparkacu.com/rooms-and-rates.html

Maybe rooming off campus would help with costs?  

Did she apply to Texas Tech University as well?   Their costs are less and their nursing program gets good ratings from current students.   No idea what their cut off for applications is, but it might be an option.  Maybe she could attend classes there and arrange to room with students from Abilene Christian off campus at a place like the one in the link.  Just a thought.

Joanne, does Abilene's pre-nursing program begin with freshmen getting their nurse's aide licenses? I know several RN programs that do begin that way, and then the students work a few hours in the hospital each week. But, it's an expensive way to get the license. Many independent hospital educational programs only charge between $700 and $1000 for tuition for the coursework and clinicals. That's way cheaper than paying it per credit hour at the university. If she could find a way to finance that coursework now, she might be able to skip some classes, and begin working in the medical facility right away. The pay is better than a regular campus job so she could contribute more to her bill, or even have her paycheck go directly to her account.

Just a thought. I hope something really, really great works out for her!

The good news is that if she gets her BSRN and has good grades and references, she should be able to get a decent paying position after graduation and paying back student loans will hopefully not be much of a burden.

• Like 1