Menu

Physical science or biology or both for 8th grader? Thoughts on our situation?

Hi. I'll have an 8th grade girl and 9th grade boy in the Fall. He is finishing up physical science and she is finishing up general science. Both are using apologia academy. My daughter is bright and motivated. I was thinking of having her double up next year doing physical science and biology. My son is doing biology and I thought maybe it would be nice to get them on the same track. It would be easier for me, save money on supplies, and give them a classmate to discuss with. Would having my daughter double up be crazy for good student? If so, what about skipping physical science completely? Would we see that info down the road in chemistry and/or physics? Am I crazy for even thinking that this is a good idea? Thoughts? Thanks in advance! :)

I'd recommend just having your daughter do biology along with your son. No sense having her double up, as physical science isn't a requirement to do biology or chemistry or physics for that matter. Only 2 of mine had physical science before physics (honors) either through dual enrollment or our virtual school and all did well. Also, almost all of my kids so far have taken biology in 8th grade and did fine.  

They, and you, will definitely appreciate being able to devote the year to biology. There's so much you can add into Apologia's biology with field trips and some outside reading. You don't need to add on to it, but I'd do that before having your dd go through both the physical science and biology books. 

HTH,

Lisa

• Like 3