Menu

Tell me how you use Khan Academy

stm4him

Go to the site and take a look. Students can create accounts (free), and then all of k-12 math has a full suite of mastery-based tasks for all standard topics in a grade level or subject (i.e. algebra or geometry). It's very well done, and while I wouldn't use it as a stand-alone, it's excellent as review or, in our case this week, math that can be done without Mom needing to be available to help (I've been sick). The videos are there if they're stuck, but form only a small part of the program as a whole.

So they watch a video on a concept and then what?

You have two options, watch the video and then do the problem sets.  Or, the student can start at the beginning concept for their grade/skill level.  If they don't know how to do the problem, then the child can watch the video.  There's an option to watch the corresponding concept video on the same page as the problem set.  After watching the video, they go back to the problems and practice.  The child levels up after completing a certain number of problems correctly and then works through the levels until mastery of the concept.  You can have them work on a concept at a time or mix it up.  My kids like variety so they jump around.  My son works on multiplication one day and geometry the next, or a mixed set of previously practiced concepts.  Really, you just need to set up an account (free) and go into a math grade level and try it out.  That is the best way to get a feel for how it works.  

My children do a five problem set as a warm up before their individual math lesson with me.  Now, if they answer all five correctly, they are done, but if they make a mistake, the program will give them more to practice before it "finishes" that problem set.  That is where the practice until mastery comes in.  On busy days or field-trip days or mom-is-sick days they will do Khan for a set time instead.  So, if it was your main math, then I would set up a time period or a number of problem sets to be completed.  I do think there will be times where you may need to clarify or provide further explanation, but it could work as your main math.  I would, if possible, set out some manipulatives for a younger student to work with as well.  If they needed that.  

On a side note, if I'm not ready for my son (age 9) to do his math lesson with me and he is done with his Khan questions, he looks around and finds something to do.  He's had fun with coding and watching history and science videos.  Khan a fun around here!  

We use it when someone has trouble with a concept. For example, dd13 was having trouble with exponents in Aops Pre-A so she did the section in Khan... watched the videos and did the practice problems til mastery (which took about an hour total). The next day she went back to AoPS and rocked it. Dd13 is having trouble with perimeter in MM3B. We are doing the Khan section on it tomorrow before we move on in MM next week.

My kids are working through the computer programming areas, and math.  DD is making her way through the Alg 1 concepts, and DS is almost finished with the Pre-A concepts and has also started Alg 1.  You can assign them anything to do that Khan offers.  The math is a supplement to their Saxon work.  They love it because they earn medals and other things as they improve.  I schedule 1.5 hours of math per day and if they finish their math lesson early they get to do Khan with the remaining time.  OF course their math lesson has to be well done and neat.  They get to do it about twice a week.  

i love that Khan emails me what they've done and where they stand on their goals.

Does anyone use Kahn as your base program? We are playing with it right now with me sitting with dd9 and explaining and guiding as needed. It is a lot of review at this point, but I wonder about how complete it would be for new concepts with a teacher who could explain, clarify and get out a whiteboard to show extra examples.

Cut and pasted from another thread:

With dd, I started her at the grade level that I that I felt fit her.  When she starts a new grade level I require her to do the Mission Foundations before branching out into any other skills.  And I require her to do those in order because they often build on each other.  You can find the Mission Foundations by clicking "Show all Skills".  They are the first line of the Skill Breakdown.  How we do it is to then try the skill.  If she misses a couple of problems in a row, then I will suggest that she watch a video or click to show all the hints to see how they attacked the problem.  I am sitting next to her and am able to jump in and show her physically how to do things as well.  Dd does not like the videos very much so we put those off until we've tried all other ways of learning the material.  You may want to approach this differently but this way fits my dd's learning approach the best.  Once you've started learning a skill, a Mastery Challenge will be generated (a review/test of the material).  We like to start each session by doing the mastery challenges and then we attack the Mission Foundations.  My goal is two of those skill squares a day but I have a general sense of how much time I want to spend on math and also my dd's frustration level and will make decisions each day based on that.  

Once she's mastered all the Mission Foundations, then each day I ask her to do the Mastery Challenges and then two other skills of her choice.  In dd's case she does all the easier skills until all she has left are things like fractions and then we do those at the end of the grade level.    ;)

• Like 1

Love khan here! We don't use it as our core math, but when I have a particularly busy work week, or we just need something different, ds11 works thorough his missions (6th grade math and prealgebra). We simply do the topics as they come up. He watches the videos and does some problems. If he doesn't understand something, or isn't getting the problems correct right away, I sit down with him and explain the concept and we work through some problems together. He often needs to be reminded to use a white board to write out the problems, but otherwise it's very independent.

He's also working though the coding, big history, and loves, loves, loves doodling in math class.

I like being able to print out the progress/completion charts for his portfolio.