Menu

AoPS Group Theory Seminar!

quark

:lol: I think for my son group theory IS a form of group therapy. :lol: It's the branch of math that makes him happiest.

Intermediate Number Theory really kicked his you-know-what so I am not optimistic that this course will be easy for him, but he is definitely a lot more enthusiastic about this than he was for InterNT. Fingers crossed!

• Like 1

Dumb question... is "group" theory the same as set theory, or is it something different?

Related and yet not the same.

Definition: A binary operation on a set is basically an operation that takes two inputs from the set and returns one output, also in the set.

Common examples:

Addition and multiplication on integers, rational numbers, real numbers, and complex numbers.

Addition and multiplication on nxn matrices with entries from the above sets.

Addition, multiplication, and composition of real-valued functions

Examples of things that are not binary operations:

Division on the integers -- 1/2 is not an integer.

Division on the real numbers -- to define it as a binary operation you need to specify the non-zero real numbers.

A group, then, is a set together with a binary operation (let us use * for the operation) defined on that set that satisfies three properties:

1) The binary operation is associative -- a*(b*c) = (a*b)*c

2) There is an identity element, denoted by e, such that a*e = e*a = a for every a in the set.

3) Every element in the set has an inverse in the set -- that is, for every a in the set, there is a b in the set such that a*b = b*a = e.

Basic examples of groups:

The integers under addition. It is a set with a binary operation, addition is associative, the identity element is 0, and the inverse of a is -a.

The non-zero rational numbers under multiplication. It is a set with a binary operation, multiplication is associative, the identity element is 1, and the inverse of a is 1/a. Note that the restriction to non-zero rational numbers is required as otherwise 0 would not have an inverse.

Much cooler example - symmetry group!

This is not my page, but it's correct and putting images in here is obnoxious.

http://dogschool.tripod.com/trianglegroup.html

Anyway, so group theory studies groups and their properties.

(btw, we usually spend about 1.5 weeks of lecture getting to everything that I put in this post, including doing lots of examples and some basic set theory as a lead-in).

• Like 2

I took group theory my freshman year in college as part of an abstract algebra course but couldn't figure out what it was for. Subsequently in 3 different courses (Theoretical Mechanics, Cristalography, Quantum Mechanics) we did mention that group theory could be used but we didn't use it. Not knowing group theory is one of the things that I consider as a hole in my education.