Menu

Computer Science for U.S. Military Commissioned Officers

3in9th

My son is interested in going into the military, but only after completing a computer science degree and becoming a commissioned officer upon graduation.

The military career paths are dizzying for me and I was wondering if anyone had experience/knowledge to help me out. He's interesting in computers, mainly coding and has been teaching himself for a number of years (he's only in 8th grade right now.) From what I can tell, the Navy and Air Force seem to offer much more opportunities than the Army.

Help!

I know a West Point grad who had a stint at the NSA (maybe a summer thing).  Computer stuff is big at the NSA.

I know a Navy ROTC grad who, after "retiring" from F14s, and having no significant prior experience, ended up doing much computer-related work at Centcom.  After leaving the military, this person worked in the areas of programming and business systems (I don't know the right term) and now works for Oracle.

Eta, West Point has a CS major http://www.usma.edu/eecs/sitepages/computer%20science.aspx, http://www.usma.edu/eecs/SitePages/Computer%20Science%20Objectives%20and%20Outcomes.aspx

I think you'd need to speak with someone at each academy to discuss what possible paths there may be.

There's just no telling what the military will do with a specific college degree.

Yes, a good friend of ours is a retired Air Force colonel and a professor at one of the war colleges.  His PhD is metrology.  Other than a year early on, everything he did in his career both before and after retirement was in entirely different areas.

It depends on what they need you to do after school as well.  No guarantees these days.  We know several who were in ROTC who ended up in the reserves because there was no slots for them when they graduated. 

A lot could change of course, but it's always good to think about several paths.

My son is interested in going into the military, but only after completing a computer science degree and becoming a commissioned officer upon graduation.

Why?  

If he wants to be a military officer, with a computer science degree, wouldn't he prefer them to pay for it?  .  

The Army has a recently (2010) formed the US Army Cyber Command.  After my time, so I really couldn't tell you what they do.  

Contacting the Academies Computer Science departments is a great idea.  They would be able to tell him what the opportunities in CS are for officers.

DS graduated last May from USAFA with a CS major but he decided to fly.

The military puts you where they want you, regardless of your degree. If your DS is offered anything specific by a service academy, be sure and get it in writing or don't count on getting it.

He wants to go to a military academy or corps of cadets and also do anti-hacking work. Would this change anything?

I'm also asking because I just don't see much in the way of Army-based computer careers.

If your DS is offered anything specific by a service academy, be sure and get it in writing or don't count on getting it.

The service academies don't offer any post graduate guarantees.  Jobs and assignments after graduation are based on rank in class, with a few that require specific majors (ie. pre-med)

• Like 1