Menu

Spelling help-please!!!

pocjets

My 3rd grader missed every word on her spelling test today. We are using spelling plus with the dictation book. An example word is around and she spelled it "arawnd". I know she practices her words all week but she is just not getting it. I know so many people recommend AAS but I have also heard it was too much for some kids. I hate to spend so much money if I don't even know if it will work. Any suggestions???

My 3rd grader missed every word on her spelling test today. We are using spelling plus with the dictation book. An example word is around and she spelled it "arawnd". I know she practices her words all week but she is just not getting it. I know so many people recommend AAS but I have also heard it was too much for some kids. I hate to spend so much money if I don't even know if it will work. Any suggestions???

Spalding. :D

For a one-time purchase of less than $50, you'll have everything you need to teach spelling, penmanship, capitalization and punctuation, and simple writing, for as many children as you will ever have.

Apples and Pears really helped with retention here. My son learned and followed the spelling rules. He spelled phonetically. But he couldn't retain the look of the word, so he was often wrong. Apples and Pears worked, partly because it helped him retain the visual of the word.

Do more visualization work.  Give just enough hints so that the child does NOT get it wrong, implanting a vision of the wrong spelling in their mind.  Beginning spelling is 75% visualization and only 25% logical, phonetic work.  Beginning spelling is planting, not quizzing.

Ex.  For the word "around," I would give the child the hint that we are going to find the "ou" phonogram in this word.  I would fingerspell it. I would ask the child to close their eyes and see if they can picture it.  Spell it out loud.  Correct it at that point if it's wrong.  (It's NOT been written yet.) If it was wrong, have them close their eyes again, visualize the correct spelling, spelling it out loud.  Then, and only then, write the word. 

I have been using the 1919 Pearson Spelling for my struggling spellers.  I've reformatted the 2nd Grade level, and supplemented with phonogram work like described above. 

I recently switched my kids to Sequential Spelling because my son was failing every spelling test in a traditional spelling book, no matter how much he practiced.  Sequential Spelling seems to be working very well and my kids are happy with it.  My son has had extensive practice in phonics, but he applies it wrong in spelling.  "Lake" comes out "laeck" or some such thing.  But for some reason Sequential Spelling helps him out quite a bit.

Spalding. :D

For a one-time purchase of less than $50, you'll have everything you need to teach spelling, penmanship, capitalization and punctuation, and simple writing, for as many children as you will ever have.

What exactly would I need to buy? I'm going to finally look at it. Thanks.

Take a look at the AAS samples and see what you think. They have a 1-year guarantee, so if you order from their website and it doesn't work out, you can return it. That's what convinced me to try it years ago, LOL! But it really helped my kids. 

My dd was doing similar things on her spelling tests in 2nd grade before I switched to AAS last year. Her spelling actually kept getting worse as she progressed through R & S Spelling 2. (Her sister's spelling had shown massive improvements with R & S.) With AAS, my middle dd's spelling is great now. She has recently started asking me to grade her dictation where she has been spelling 95-100% correctly.

Take a look at the AAS samples and see what you think. They have a 1-year guarantee, so if you order from their website and it doesn't work out, you can return it. That's what convinced me to try it years ago, LOL! But it really helped my kids. 

I'll check it out again. Thank you. I didn't realize they had such a great guarantee. I've read so many wonderful reviews that maybe I should try it. 

What exactly would I need to buy? I'm going to finally look at it. Thanks.

You need the manual and a set of phonogram cards (you can make your own, but really, save your time for more important things and buy them). You might find the Spelling Assessment Manual helpful. You do NOT need the teacher guides.