Menu

What is a good rate for this? RE dog kenneling privately, last minute

AimeeM

Our GSD's trainer will be boarding Obi today for a few hours, at her house, while we have to leave the house for showings for a few hours. When it's nice out, we just put his crate on the back covered patio while we're gone, but it's way too cold to do that right now.

So his trainer will pick him up and keep him with her for a few hours, and slip in some training since it's so inconsistent at the moment with the showings, etc. 

For training she only charges us $30 for an hour, since he has no behavioral issues. I'm not sure what to give her for boarding a few hours too, though. She isn't sure either, since she said the "doggy daycares" rates aren't really comparable - they have overhead staffing, utilities, facility, kennel costs to cover that she doesn't have. 

Would it be similar, perhaps, to what we pay our sitter for the kids (yes, I'm comparing doggy sitting to child sitting, lol)? We pay our sitter $10 for the first child, and a few extra dollars per hour for the second kiddo, and then I just round up. 

Boarding your dog for 24 hours here costs $25 whether at the vet or other private facility I would pay her the regular rate for training, and then pay a flat rate for the other.

Any idea how much to pay flat rate since today it's only a few hours, and normally will only be about 1.5 hours (today is a rarity - we have several showings squished into one longer time slot).

I'd say $50. It sounds high, but you're getting transportation both ways, three hours of dog sitting, and training. The training itself would be $30, right? If she's not training, then I'd pay just pay the $30 for the dog sitting and transportation.

She picking him up from here, then I'm picking him up from her.

I don't think $50 sounds high - sounds about right since she'll be able to get some group training in, too.

Will your dog bark when in the kennel, when it's nice out and you leave him there? I ask because this was a real turn off when we last house shopped. We do go outside to look at the yard, as that is a part of what we're buying. We left at least two homes because the dogs wouldn't stop barking once they saw us, even when going back inside. It was so distracting. Just something for  you to think about. And we are dog owners, so we do get "it".

Will your dog bark when in the kennel, when it's nice out and you leave him there? I ask because this was a real turn off when we last house shopped. We do go outside to look at the yard, as that is a part of what we're buying. We left at least two homes because the dogs wouldn't stop barking once they saw us, even when going back inside. It was so distracting. Just something for  you to think about. And we are dog owners, so we do get "it".

He doesn't bark much in general, but he will cry if we leave for too long, which is why it's an okay solution if we can't get in touch with his trainer for day boarding, and it's only one showing... but not a great solution, regardless of weather, if it's a longer chunk of time (like it was today).

The only time he's been left here during a showing is when a potential buyer or agent insists that it is absolutely necessary that they come that day, or within a couple of hours and I'm unable to get him somewhere else - at that point, as much as I want the house sold, it's kind of "as is", even though I don't mind accommodating the last minute showings... sometimes we're even still here (like last week when buyers came by while I had three sick kids).

I do make sure our selling agent tells potential buyers that if they want a last minute showing, they need to understand that the dog may be here, kenneled in the back, and we may all still be here. It may turn people off, but it can't always be avoided. Now, when we're given at least 24 hours notice, we have no problem (usually) getting the dog out of the house, and us too.