Menu

Snow Days?

Southern Ivy

Do you do snow days when public schools have snow days?   

101 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have snow days when public schools miss for snow days?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends

Dh has told dd " It has to snow a whole lot to prevent you from getting from your bedroom to the dinning room table."  We do sun days instead.  Dd has a friend who lives down the street and they will occasionally get together in the afternoon to play in the snow.  If dd concentrates her school should be done by 2 so that gives them plenty of time to play.  Lately the weather has been too cold to really go outside and play any how.   I am really looking forward to May and June.

If we're in a place where the kids get off school for a decent amount of snow, then we do.  But not when everything shuts down for an inch of snow because there's nothing to play in.

This.

Our district has declared snow days when snow was *expected* (but never materialized  :rolleyes:  ).  One year part of the city got snow, so the district called a snow day.  We totally couldn't figure that one out for a while, because there wasn't any snow at our house.  Some snow day!

We don't take the whole day off but if it's a fun snow to play in we might just do the basics and still have plenty of time to play in the snow. For example, Tuesday this week we had our first biggish (for us) snowfall. The kids played outside for hours but still got math, piano, latin and worked on their current unit study on explorers. We did school by the fire and ate popcorn and read books. It was a good day. 

I also agree that a lot of times schools are canceled here when it isn't really fun to play...ice, cold weather, a tiny bit of snow. If it's fun to be outside, they can be out but we never cancel just because the public schools do. 

We also end in early May and they realize they would much much rather work hard on these cold winter days than when it is warm and beautiful outside. They don't have a ton of neighborhood friends who aren't homeschooled though so that might make a difference. 

At least some of the schools around here have assignments online for snow days.  That may just be high school, not sure.  But, the impression that I get from people I know with kids in high school (public and private) is that snow days are not necessarily days off.  Not sure though if they still have to make up the days at the end of the year. 

They haven't done that yet. I think in part because how would it get communicated to the students? Yes, most of the kids have internet access at home, but not all of them do. I live in the neighborhood were that would be an issue and I can promise that many high school kids do not have access to a computer or the internet at home.

There is a rumor going around that next year all the kids in the high school will get given a chrome to use at home, so that might change. 

The district does make the kids make up missed snow days. It gets taken out of spring break and any other long weekends that have been scheduled in the second semester.