Menu

decorating ideas from blog

school17777

Well, since I didn't feel this weekend, I spent most of the weekend on a blog that I found from a rabbit trail from here.  Someone mentioned that they liked Lisa Pennington's decorating style, so I checked out her blog and then found another blog from that blog.  Here is the blog that has inspired me.

I love the colors she uses in her house and her style in general.  Dh is willing to paint for me (yeah- 8 years of builder white in half of the house, some rooms have been painted).  I found some paint colors from her blog to try out in the schoolroom (at sea).  Just have to go buy it and dh said he would paint it.  I also decided quick easy change would be to recover the pillows on our couch will fun material.  So, I spent hours looking through Joann's decorator fabrics to pick 7 different fabrics that I liked and waited to hear from my mom to see if she was willing to sew them for me (she is!).

I also wanted a new tablecloth.  I first thought I'd pick out fabric and have my mom sew it for me, but it would cost $90 on sale!  So, I looked through BB&B's selection and found one that I liked (that's it - just one).  Then I thought I should see if I could order it from walmart before I ordered it from BB&B.  Walmart didn't have it, but they had one that I like just as well for $15.  When I ordered it, it came up $3 something, but I had to pick it up from a Walmart 1/2 hour away.  Since we needed groceries anyway, I went up yesterday to pick it up.  The upc must have been mixed up online and that was why it was $3 because the upc went with a placemat.  Walmart matched the price though, so I still got the tablecloth for $3.  Here is the tablecloth that I got.  I figured I save $87 on that tablecloth since I started out with $90 and got down to $3.

Ooooo... love that tablecloth!  Fab!

Isn't it funny how we can be just fine with our home decor for months or years, but then one day we see a photo or a new blog and all of a sudden our decor has to change NOW!!  At least that's how I am.  My poor husband never knows what's coming next!

I'm doing a bit of sprucing up now, too.  I still have some gorgeous fabric I bought a couple years ago that is destined to become pillows this week.  And a matching can of leftover spray paint..... something's gonna get sprayed!!  My challenge is to see what I can do with what I already have.

Have fun with your projects!  (And thanks for the new blog link.  I shouldn't look, but I know I will.   :o )

I have my grandparents coffee table that is glass top. I have decided to paint it a bright color - probably medicianni (or something like that) copying the island in the blog. Dh thinks I'm crazy, but I want to add color to our house! That should be an easy enough job that I can do myself as soon as I can block some time out.

Ooooo... love that tablecloth! Fab!

Isn't it funny how we can be just fine with our home decor for months or years, but then one day we see a photo or a new blog and all of a sudden our decor has to change NOW!! At least that's how I am. My poor husband never knows what's coming next!

I'm doing a bit of sprucing up now, too. I still have some gorgeous fabric I bought a couple years ago that is destined to become pillows this week. And a matching can of leftover spray paint..... something's gonna get sprayed!! My challenge is to see what I can do with what I already have.

Have fun with your projects! (And thanks for the new blog link. I shouldn't look, but I know I will. :o )

I don't feel we have much decor going on in our house. Our furniture is mostly hand-me downs mitch-matched together and some pieces that we have bought over the years (antique type stuff, so still used). At this point, most things match, but that wasn't always the case. We are both function over looks, mainly because we had to be.

We have been wanting a sectional for the familyroom for years. We scored one from a model house for exactly the amount of money that we had been saving at that point for one. It was used, but in new condition since it just sat in the model house for a couple of years. We were able to take out our two couches that totally did not match whatsoever, but we needed the seating. That helped a lot in pulling our "decor" together.

Have fun looking over the blog! You might lose a chunk of time in doing so.

I think painting your coffee table a bright color would be a great idea!  I added just a little bit of red to our living room....... a funky wooden candlestick, a big letter from a vintage sign (our last name initial), a print fabric on the giant ottoman we use as a coffee table.....  and I'm amazed at what a difference that little bit made.  I love that rug you posted.... you could pick any color out of something like that to use and it would look great.

Do you ever poke around on Apartment Therapy?  I love to look at the house tours and see what other people have done.  I'm a big fan of vintage, so these are a couple of my favorites:

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/hope-and-petes-bohemian-modern-abode-house-tour-202069#_

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/robert-michaels-midcentury-pad-house-tour-191883

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/elises-eclectic-cottage-in-the-mountains-house-tour-208267#_

Have fun with your planning!  It's awfully addictive!   :001_smile:

Have you ever visited the Nesting Place blog? Love her style so much that I bought the book.

Actually my style philosophy is a lot like hers--it's taken me decades of life to understand it.

My sis in law introduced me to Annie Sloan chalk paints. OH MY! I'm having so much fun. I took an ugly black bench I've never liked and painted it Provence (sort of a turquoise color). Distressed it and added some pretty fabic that I already had. Looks so cute....I'm started to repaint the dining table and chairs we have had forever--Chateau Gray--which is a gray/green color. I'm a happy camper....The coffee table may be next as well as some of the doors in the house...have paint brush, have fun. :)

Have you ever visited the Nesting Place blog? Love her style so much that I bought the book.

Actually my style philosophy is a lot like hers--it's taken me decades of life to understand it.

My sis in law introduced me to Annie Sloan chalk paints. OH MY! I'm having so much fun. I took an ugly black bench I've never liked and painted it Provence (sort of a turquoise color). Distressed it and added some pretty fabic that I already had. Looks so cute....I'm started to repaint the dining table and chairs we have had forever--Chateau Gray--which is a gray/green color. I'm a happy camper....The coffee table may be next as well as some of the doors in the house...have paint brush, have fun. :)

Welcome to the world of ASCP addiction!

I adore ASCP!!!

I think painting your coffee table a bright color would be a great idea! I added just a little bit of red to our living room....... a funky wooden candlestick, a big letter from a vintage sign (our last name initial), a print fabric on the giant ottoman we use as a coffee table..... and I'm amazed at what a difference that little bit made. I love that rug you posted.... you could pick any color out of something like that to use and it would look great.

Do you ever poke around on Apartment Therapy? I love to look at the house tours and see what other people have done. I'm a big fan of vintage, so these are a couple of my favorites:

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/hope-and-petes-bohemian-modern-abode-house-tour-202069#_

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/robert-michaels-midcentury-pad-house-tour-191883

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/elises-eclectic-cottage-in-the-mountains-house-tour-208267#_

Have fun with your planning! It's awfully addictive! :001_smile:

I will have to check those out later. I was up to 4:30 this morning looking at rugs and thehandmade blog. I can't do that again!

That rug that I posted is too big. I wish I could order that same rug in a smaller size.

The things you added to your livingroom make it sound fun! Are you willing to post an after picture?

I will add that blog to my list to check out.

Bet your furniture looks nice and gave your place a new look.

Check out Joss and Main - they have a Bohemian Look section this week. :) Looks like it might fit the same style.

https://www.jossandmain.com/Bohemian-Fascination~E17100.html

Too many pretty things! Almost everything that I am interested in is sold out.

I don't understand the pricing. For example (made up), 3x5 +$75, 4x6+$116, 2x4-$36. Those numbers aren't prices and I can't imagine they are extra shipping charges. The amount changes based on what you are looking at. At first, I thought it was the price difference between what I was looking at and a different size, but that didn't work out either. Any idea?

I think those are the sizes of the rug? A 3 x 5 rug- 3 foot by 5 foot would cost $75. Is this what you're asking?

It is the size, but the dollar amount is not the price. When you click on it, the price does not equal the dollar amount that was next to the size and sometimes the price is negative. Would love it if I was paid to buy something!

Well the ones I tried you added that price to the amount originally shown by the product. Weird just not to have a price. But I never saw any negatives so I'm not sure how that works.

Anyhoo, cool site! Fun to look at. I'm in the middle of redecorating a room and it's fun to look around,