Menu

Affordable telescope/binoculars

I'm not sure how much you're looking to spend, but my husband started doing astronomy with the boys this year and researched binoculars and ended up really liking the Celestron "Cometron" pair he bought.  We had an old hobby telescope of mine from when I was a kid and the binocs on a tripod actually worked better.  Being binoculars, they don't take up much space, have a case, and seem easy enough to use (to me).

Of course this then ended up in us "needing" to purchase a ~$400 10-inch telescope, because that's how things go around here, but they've really enjoyed that too.

CORRECTION!  He actually got the smaller Cometron binoculars...the $35 pair, not the $90 pair.  He used them for 2-3 months before investing in the telescope.

Binoculars are a lot more portable and more affordable to buy one per child.  We use the telescopes from docents at star gazing events.

I'm not sure how much you're looking to spend, but my husband started doing astronomy with the boys this year and researched binoculars and ended up really liking the Celestron "Cometron" pair he bought.  We had an old hobby telescope of mine from when I was a kid and the binocs on a tripod actually worked better. 

Which tripod did you use with the binoculars?  Thinking of whale watching :)   I have a Nikon binoculars that is lower range for astronomy.

Frys electronics is selling the Cometron 7x50 for $35

The celestron skymaster goes on sale for under $50 on amazon often, so keep an eye on it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00008Y0VN/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We have this one and use it often. It is good, but needs a tripod as it needs stability for viewing.

This is a good celestron binocular too and under $30:

http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-UpClose-10x50-Binocular-71256/dp/B006ZN4TZS/ref=pd_sim_p_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=183Q8RTSYTPJGSKGRKMW

We will not be able to afford a tripod this year, between the cost of both the tripod itself and the bin adaptor. maybe next year if we really enjoy sky watching. But that still pretty much rules out the sky aster series. :/ All the reviews I've seen mention they require tripods.

Which Celestron Upclose are you recommending, mathnerd? There are 4 on that link, 10x50, 20x50, 7x35, or 8x40?

Binoculars are a lot more portable and more affordable to buy one per child.  We use the telescopes from docents at star gazing events.

Which tripod did you use with the binoculars?  Thinking of whale watching :)   I have a Nikon binoculars that is lower range for astronomy.

Frys electronics is selling the Cometron 7x50 for $35

The tripod is something my hubby has had for years for his camera and then ended up buying an adapter for it, so I'm not too helpful on that front.

Coco, I wanted to add that my DH really recommends Stellarium for finding stuff in the sky.  It's free (amazingly so) sky mapping software.

I admit that I have very little involvement in the astronomy studies around here, so I'm just relaying information because DH has very little involvement in internet forums.  :)

Beware of your Astronomy studies!!!  Constellations are like potato chips!  You can't learn just one!  They are addictive!!!

Loverboy bought two sets of binoculars from Sam's club for under $50 (for the pair).  I think it was a sale.  We keep one set in each car, because then they are handy for if we see something cool like a Bald Eagle at the local hardware store; or to grab if we go hiking.

For your first telescope, I would check out Craig's List.  You can probably get more bang for your buck, and if it's a dud, you're not out much.  You'll know what to look for next time.  Our telescope was purchased secondhand from parents of a childhood friend of Loverboy's.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other astronomy stuff:

1) Shower cap.  Yep.  A disposable shower cap.  If you have a larger telescope (like ours), put a shower cap at each end of the telescope during storage to keep the dust out.

2) 365 Starry Nights by Chet Raymo.  This book has an entry for every night of the year.  It teaches you how to find the constellations one-by-one.  It teaches you mythology.  It teaches star brightness.  Advice: you don't have to start at January 1st, but I would begin at the beginning of any given month because some entries build on what was taught before.

3) Star Gazers   This weekly show is a 5-minute lesson of what one can see in the night sky this week.  Set your TIVO to record it on PBS.

4) Local Astronomy Clubs  are a good resource BUT email them beforehand to see when actual stargazing will occur.  Our local club has a business meeting (boring for kids), an informational presentation (over the heads for anyone below 6th grade), and then may or may not have stargazing if the weather cooperates.  That's a lot for little kids to sit through for a "maybe we'll see some stars."

Email the club and explain the ages of your kids.  Explain that you are a beginner, and you just want to come for the group stargazing experience.  Hopefully they will say, "Stargazing begins after 9pm if the skies are clear.   Dress warmly!"

5) Constellation activity book

6) Astronomy cards from Usborne.  I bought a second set for Grandpa to use with the Scout troop he mentors.  Amazon link.

7) Night Sky: A Field Guide to the Constellations.  I like this reference because it discusses

--brightest stars in each constellation

--where to find it along the horizon and how high in the sky

8) Green Laser pointer-- MUST HAVE!!!!!!  This will help to point out constellations in the sky.  If you find it, you can teach it to your younger children.  Expect to pay at least $25.

While I have super limited experience, I was impressed by the reviews and the price (around $50) on this Celestron telescope, so we got it for DS6's birthday.  It has its own tabletop stand, which means you don't have to have a tripod for it, and we've found the spotterscope useful.  (You aim a red laser light at what you'd like to focus on, then look through the actual lens--much simpler than trying to scan the skies and find what you want.)  ...Now excuse me while I look up some of the resources duckens listed...