Menu

Classical conversations

desertflower

Hello,

I was wanting to buy this CD memory song that I keep reading on this forum.  (songs for history and science i'm assuming)  I'm a bit confused about where on the website it is.  Also, someone mentioned about getting the foundations guide.  What is that?  Is this it?  http://www.classicalconversationsbooks.com/fogu4thed.html  $75 is too much for me to spend to be wrong. 

Using this site:

http://www.classicalconversationsbooks.com/fobo.html

I see a lot of cycle 3 stuff.  Since we are in the beginning of our journey, I'm assuming we need cycle 1?  I see a cycle 3 audio 3 cd set and a cycle 3 memory work resource cd. 

Can someone please direct me?  I would love the cd and something on paper as well.  I'm visual.  :)

Thanks in advance!

If you want the CDs, you would go to the website you linked and click on Foundations Homeschool Curriculum Resources. There are CDs for each cycle. If you want music/audio for listening in the car or wherever, you need the ones that are CDs, not the resource set. I don't know much about the resource set, but I think they might only be compatible with PCs (we're Mac users). It seems like they might not even play on an audio device, just the PC. I'm not sure about that though.

It appears that the Foundations guide you asked about is the $75 book. I couldn't use your link but looked it up. I was surprised because when I bought it two years ago it was $45!

The reason you're seeing a lot of cycle 3 things is because that's the cycle they are on this year. So in the fall they will be on Cycle 1. You can find any cycle's CDs by using the foundations homeschool curriculum resources link on the left of their homepage.

HTH!

They really increased the price of the manual!!!  I bought mine 3 years ago and it was less.  The manual is still the same so you may be able to find the manual used.   Having the manual is definitely a key component to the program.  

Are you doing it at home or are you joining a community?  Cycle 1 starts again next year so that is what I would get for materials.  You can start with any cycle though.  I like the audio CDs and we listen to them in the car but they are cycle specific.  All of them include the timeline song which is the same every year.  

There is also an app for tablets with the memory work.  My kids like it but CC really needs to add the timeline song to the app.  There have been lots of complaints about that the past couple years but they still haven't added it.   The app is visual which is nice and there are extra pictures to go with the history sentences for example.  I don't buy the resource CDs.  The flashcards are nice but I found I didn't use them enough to justify the cost and I find it better for the kids to make their own flashcards for things they want to work on.  

Our director put together a group order for the manuals and timeline cards the year we started.  I got a little bit of a discount that way but I don't remember how much it was.  After that first year the only thing I buy is the audio CDs and the I-pad app.

We like the Wisdom and Righteousness lapbooks.  My kids usually have a very nice memory book by the end when we make them.  They are very tedious to cut everything out (I usually do it while sitting at Foundations).   

http://www.wisdomandrighteousness.com/resources/my-memory-work-lapbooks-for-cycle-3/

Thank you AmyinMD.  Your response is most useful too. 

I guess CC is becoming more popular hence the increase in price?  I'll check on homeschoolclassifieds.com and other sites. 

I was just thinking of doing this on my own.  I'm assuming I can do that.  I'm just looking for stuff (in an open and go format) for my child to memorize.  I saw another thread on memory work and this was mentioned (and it had a lot of other good advices too).  I also can't seem to find where to buy the book titled Living Memory by Andrew Campbell.

CC has been mentioned tons of times, so I thought I'd give a try. 

desertflower , I can't multi quote but I will try to address the things mentioned. If you're doing it at home, I absolute would NOT spend $75 on that guide. True, it's written out, but if you're looking for the visual aspect, the $15.99 app is definitely the way to go. As mentioned above, the timeline song isn't included. (The timeline is, but not the song) However, the history songs are included, along with a bit of additional info and the science memory work has additional info as well. Neither of those things are even included in the guide.

The CDs are worth the money in my opinion. The timeline song is there, as well as a U.S. presidents song and books of the Bible song. Plus the memory work of course.

I think it depends too on what memory work you want to use from it as well. If you're just interested in history, then the way carrousel does it is the way to go.

I'm not a CC expert, or believe in buying and doing all they have to offer. So for me, I like the history songs, timeline song and cards, and the math songs. (Math songs are on the cds. On the app, it sings the song while visually displaying the numbers).

Just to throw out an additional memory work option, I love the grade-level memory recitation from Memoria Press. It's inexpensive and downloadable. I use this for my younger DSs, along with the CC memory work I feel is appropriate fort their age.

I hope this helps, and isn't just a bunch of rambling! :)

Well, the timeline cards were pricey, so I wasn't under $75 total.  The timeline cards are good quality, and I like the pictures to help the kids connect to them, but the info on the back is not targeted to elementary, more a middle/high school, encyclopedia, dry style.  DS likes laying them out in order as he sings the song, and I was too lazy to source pics and make my own.  I would love to find the timeline cards with a "main point" or bullet point or history memory sentence on the back targeted to elementary and matched to the timeline song!  

Not sure if you're aware, I wasn't, but the CC history memory sentences don't match to timeline cards specifically.  I thought they would and was surprised when they didn't.  I guess at CC the timeline is one subject and history is separate?  I'm debating between the CC apps and sentences, or the BUild Your Library main points (based on SOTW, which we use for history) as the memory work.  If the CC history sentences aren't going to match the timeline cards anyway, then at least the BYL ones would match SOTW.  

MMASC, I didn't realize there were additional things on the CDs (Bible books, Presidents).  And you're totally right that the history songs and science stuff would sway which fit is best, depending on what you wanted to use.  Right now we just use the CC timeline song and cards.  

desertflower , I can't multi quote but I will try to address the things mentioned. If you're doing it at home, I absolute would NOT spend $75 on that guide. True, it's written out, but if you're looking for the visual aspect, the $15.99 app is definitely the way to go. As mentioned above, the timeline song isn't included. (The timeline is, but not the song) However, the history songs are included, along with a bit of additional info and the science memory work has additional info as well. Neither of those things are even included in the guide.

The CDs are worth the money in my opinion. The timeline song is there, as well as a U.S. presidents song and books of the Bible song. Plus the memory work of course.

I think it depends too on what memory work you want to use from it as well. If you're just interested in history, then the way carrousel does it is the way to go.

I'm not a CC expert, or believe in buying and doing all they have to offer. So for me, I like the history songs, timeline song and cards, and the math songs. (Math songs are on the cds. On the app, it sings the song while visually displaying the numbers).

Just to throw out an additional memory work option, I love the grade-level memory recitation from Memoria Press. It's inexpensive and downloadable. I use this for my younger DSs, along with the CC memory work I feel is appropriate fort their age.

I hope this helps, and isn't just a bunch of rambling! :)

Thank you MMASC!  That helps clarify things.  I will definitely get the cd.  I was just looking for history songs, but math and science will work as well.

I think the app will be a good fit as well.  You just saved me $75!  :) 

Well, the timeline cards were pricey, so I wasn't under $75 total.  The timeline cards are good quality, and I like the pictures to help the kids connect to them, but the info on the back is not targeted to elementary, more a middle/high school, encyclopedia, dry style.  DS likes laying them out in order as he sings the song, and I was too lazy to source pics and make my own.  I would love to find the timeline cards with a "main point" or bullet point or history memory sentence on the back targeted to elementary and matched to the timeline song!  

Not sure if you're aware, I wasn't, but the CC history memory sentences don't match to timeline cards specifically.  I thought they would and was surprised when they didn't.  I guess at CC the timeline is one subject and history is separate?  I'm debating between the CC apps and sentences, or the BUild Your Library main points (based on SOTW, which we use for history) as the memory work.  If the CC history sentences aren't going to match the timeline cards anyway, then at least the BYL ones would match SOTW.  

No I was not.  Thank you for letting me know. 

That must have been annoying to realize that.  I don't know why it wouldn't match up.  Bummer.

I completely agree about the info on the timeline cards.  They are good for ME to read because I'm seriously history-challenged, but reading them to my kids just gets a glazed-over look in the eyes. :)  They are good quality and informative though.  

I noticed you are using SOTW.  I am as well, and just wanted to let you know that there is a blog that has a spreadsheet with the Timeline card number, history sentence, and SOTW Vol and Chap/pg # all linked up.  For example, if the history sentence is on Columbus, then it would tell you to look at Timeline card 92 and SOTW Vol 3 Ch 1, pg. 19.  It has helped me sync them all together.  In my limited experience with this, it seems the timeline is just that...a timeline (outline) of the events they've deemed as important.  It is learned from beginning to current.  The history sentences fit in the timeline, maybe as one of the exact events, or before or after a specific timeline event.  Ideally, I would actually like to cover an entire wall with a timeline with major events and dates marked.  Then add to it what I want from history sentences or any other source i want.  Anyway I digress...the website I found the correlation for was halfahundredacrewood and the spreadsheet is called Cycle 3 Reading Schedule Correlation.  So carrousel, even if you don't add in the CC history sentences, maybe you would like having the timeline card numbers linked up with a specific SOTW chapter?

HTH! 

There are around 160 timeline cards and for the 3 cycles combined there are only 72 history sentences so they don't really match up.

If doing at home I would skip the manual.  The app has pretty much all the memory work aside from the timeline song which you could buy on CD separately.  You may miss a little not having the manual but I don't think I'd spend $75 if we weren't doing the class.  The tutors assume you have the manual and will refer to stuff so I find it useful and I was very glad they didn't update it for next year which I almost expected since they did last time for Cycle 1.  My youngest daughter's tutor told me that most long time members will not purchase new guides but will modify their old guides with any changes.  If not getting the manual I might also buy the wipe off Geography sheets.  We do use those frequently but I only buy 1 and I have three kids in the program.  The first year I bought one for each child which was a waste of money.  

I like the Half a Hundred Acre Wood blog for ideas too.  She sometimes tends to reference CC online a lot which which is a subscription service.  I'm not paying another $6.99 a month for it on top of what I already spend.

There are around 160 timeline cards and for the 3 cycles combined there are only 72 history sentences so they don't really match up.

If doing at home I would skip the manual. The app has pretty much all the memory work aside from the timeline song which you could buy on CD separately. You may miss a little not having the manual but I don't think I'd spend $75 if we weren't doing the class. The tutors assume you have the manual and will refer to stuff so I find it useful and I was very glad they didn't update it for next year which I almost expected since they did last time for Cycle 1. My youngest daughter's tutor told me that most long time members will not purchase new guides but will modify their old guides with any changes. If not getting the manual I might also buy the wipe off Geography sheets. We do use those frequently but I only buy 1 and I have three kids in the program. The first year I bought one for each child which was a waste of money.

I like the Half a Hundred Acre Wood blog for ideas too. She sometimes tends to reference CC online a lot which which is a subscription service. I'm not paying another $6.99 a month for it on top of what I already spend.

Thank you! I didn't know about the geography sheets.