Menu

White bean "hummus" - do any of you have a tried and true recipe to share?

Seasider

I think this is more properly called a bean butter. It is the consistency of hummus. I have a pound of dry white beans and I'd like to give it a go. I see some online recipes but most call for canned beans. Plus I would like to hear of one someone has actually tried!

Need to keep it nut free and GF. Thanks! I hope someone has a recipe to share.

Well, it's not really much of a recipe.

I cook the dry beans following the quick-soak method on the bag (boil 2 min, soak in that water 1 hr, drain/rinse, cook in fresh water until done).

I put a few cups of beans in the food processor. Then I add

minced garlic, a half to whole clove, depending on the size

freshly squeezed lemon juice

olive oil, a few teaspoons or so

salt

freshly ground pepper

thyme, maybe a half teaspoon

I puree the mixture, adding lemon juice and/or olive oil until the consistency looks right. I add more seasoning if necessary. Watch out---the garlic can sneak up on you!

I also make a black bean version with garlic, lime juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, cumin, and sometimes cayenne.

Thank you for calling it a bean butter and putting hummus in quotes. Hummus cannot be made without chickpeas since that's what the word hummus means. This is one of my favorite pet peeves. :)

When I make a white bean dip, it's pretty much the way Luckymama described, except I use a lot more garlic.

See, and I hate raw garlic and love tahini so I'd skip the garlic and make sure there was plenty of tahini (or you can toast and grind up some sesame seeds on your own) and cumin. If you like the traditional flavors, you can pretty much take a hummus recipe and then sub the white beans for chickpeas. I've also had the black bean version mentioned by a pp. I think that one might be my favorite.

I prefer mine without oil added. I usually keep some of the bean cooking liquid out to add to the mix if I think it needs a bit more moisture. Mmmmmm.....hummus....

Thanks, all, for the tips! I do believe Tuscan bean butter is what I heard it called, I didn't remember that. That black bean version sounds yummy, too! I will definitely give it a try. I suppose I could do a regular hummus but I don't have any tahini on hand and don't want to make a grocery run tomorrow.

All I know is that this guy at our parish who is from Damascus makes the BEST *hummus* buy buying stuff from the store and then mixing in a LOT MORE garlic and a LOT MORE olive oil.  It's really yummy!  Maybe the principle of generosity is the key to great tasting whatever-kinda-bean-butter you are making.  :0)  

Man that stuff is good.  

Of course I have to sleep in a different neighborhood at night.  :0)

All I know is that this guy at our parish who is from Damascus makes the BEST *hummus* buy buying stuff from the store and then mixing in a LOT MORE garlic and a LOT MORE olive oil. It's really yummy! Maybe the principle of generosity is the key to great tasting whatever-kinda-bean-butter you are making. :0)

Man that stuff is good.

Of course I have to sleep in a different neighborhood at night. :0)

Haha! I am not afraid of garlic! I do try to make sure everyone around me has some, too, y'know?!!

I do use a lot more garlic than I posted because we like it :D I didn't want anyone else to be surprised :lol:

We eliminated tahini from hummus when dd20 tested positive for a sesame allergy eight years ago. Once she was safe, we just never added it back in!

Part of the reason for wanting to do the white bean version is to leave out the tahini. I don't really have problems with it, but if I have to go out and buy it, I might as well just buy premise hummus!