Menu

Can I skip Saxon 7/6 and go to 8/7?

Heather7

A brief overview... Two of our children are enrolled this year with Veritas Press which skips Saxon 8/7 and goes directly to Pre-Algebra. DS1 completed 7/6, part of 8/7 and is in the pre-algebra book his year.

DS2 is 2 years younger and is just lessons away from completing Saxon 6/5. We own 8/7 already (but not 7/6). Would it be wise to start DS2 in 8/7 and skip 7/6? The way I look at it, 8/7 reviews a lot of previously taught material and any extra help he may need I could provide. He just seems to have a math-mind but I don't want to do this if the "level up" is too difficult.

Hopefully the numbers aren't too confusing. If you know a lot about the similarities/differences between 7/6 and 8/7, I'd appreciate what you think your child got out of one or both books and if you would have skipped one.

The only reason would be because we own 8/7 and I would need to buy 7/6. The testing is a good idea but my primary motivation wasn't to push him ahead, it is just knowing that he does well on math so I wondered if the review aspect of 8/7 was enough to cover 7/6 adequately. I just don't want him to be "done math" for the school year when he finishes 6/5. I need to decide whether to buy 7/6 soon. :)

I would really recommend against trying to skip a year in math to avoid purchasing a book. It's like buying shoes that are a size too big so they won't grow out of them as fast.

Currently I see the student book used for $30 on amazon. If finances are enough of an issue that that also is out of reach, I'd ask around and see if someone has one they are not using right now that they could lend you.

A brief overview... Two of our children are enrolled this year with Veritas Press which skips Saxon 8/7 and goes directly to Pre-Algebra. DS1 completed 7/6, part of 8/7 and is in the pre-algebra book his year.

DS2 is 2 years younger and is just lessons away from completing Saxon 6/5. We own 8/7 already (but not 7/6). Would it be wise to start DS2 in 8/7 and skip 7/6? The way I look at it, 8/7 reviews a lot of previously taught material and any extra help he may need I could provide. He just seems to have a math-mind but I don't want to do this if the "level up" is too difficult.

Hopefully the numbers aren't too confusing. If you know a lot about the similarities/differences between 7/6 and 8/7, I'd appreciate what you think your child got out of one or both books and if you would have skipped one.

I know you've enrolled with someone who tells you what to do, but Math 87 *is* pre-algebra (I'm assuming you mean Alg. 1/2). The publisher recommends Math 76, Math 87, Alg. 1, if the student has at least an 80% average in Math 76. If the student has less than an 80% average in Math 76, then it's 76, Alg. 1/2, Algebra 1. Math 87 is not a lesser book. It is the preferred progression.

At any rate, no, your ds should not skip 76.

Ellie,

Do you know which edition that changed?  When I was in private school in the nineties, this was not the case.  8/7 was the more remedial one for those who needed an extra year before going into Algebra 1/2.  I hear many saying now Algebra 1/2 is not needed.  However, we have collected some second edition books, and I have the second edition of 8/7, and I just wondered if you knew if it is different in that edition.  

Sorry to hijack a thread...

Ellie,

Do you know which edition that changed?  When I was in private school in the nineties, this was not the case.  8/7 was the more remedial one for those who needed an extra year before going into Algebra 1/2.  I hear many saying now Algebra 1/2 is not needed.  However, we have collected some second edition books, and I have the second edition of 8/7, and I just wondered if you knew if it is different in that edition.  

Sorry to hijack a thread...

Yes, I know it used to be that way, although I wouldn't call 87 "remedial" ( and I have always liked it better) :-) It is the most recent editions that have changed. You could probably contact the publisher if you wanted to know the more exact date. In any case, there was never the necessity to both 87 and Alg. 1/2. It has always been either/or. That your private school might have required both was the decision of the administrators. Originally, the sequence was Math 76, Alg. 1/2, Alg. 1, if the student achieved at least an 80% average on 76; 76, 87, Alg. 1 if less than 80%/