Menu

This is probably the 100th NCAA thread....sorry

My son is a junior and started rowing in our local club as a sophomore.  He really enjoys it and is good, just not outstanding.  He thinks he would like to row in college, but he is planning to take a gap year. He attends the community college full time as a DE student.

I have not started any NCAA paperwork.  Is it too late?  Is it relevant if he doesn't go to college right away?  Would he be able to row in their master's program during his gap year?

Regarding the gap year, athletes have a one year grace period after HS graduation during which they can compete, with the exception of tennis players, who only get 6 months. If an athlete competes even once in the second yr, it counts as a full year of competition, and the penalty is having to sit out their first yr in college AND lose a year of eligibility. 

It's definitely not too late to submit paperwork to NCAA; no one will look at it anyway until a coach requests it. Read all the rules and regulations on the homeschooling part of the NCAA website, as well as the various threads here, and if you still have questions feel free to ask.

Mens crew is not a NCAA governed sport, while womens crew is - go figure.  What does this mean for you.....well, if your son is planning on rowing on Division III then, of course, no NCAA for anyone.  But if your son wants to row for Division I schools, then you need to contact the coaches directly and inquire about their NCAA policy.  For example, a couple of the Division I schools told my son to do the NCAA paperwork as they like to get all the info from their athetes in one spot and in one format while other schools for Division I said not to bother!  It also means that their are few scholarship monies for mens crew, while womens crew has tons!  So that is an area you need to find out up front, too.

I'd suggest that your son fill in the college recruiting form found on the college's sport website.  Then make a crew resume and send it off to the coach with cc to all ass't coaches.  The ass't coaches promptly answer the emails typically but the coach does read them when he has a spare moment. Keep in email touch esp more so in the senior year also visit the team.  Sometimes colleges have recruiting days in the Spring - keep on the look out for them.   Also...usually you can do an overnight visit with a member of the team. 

Good luck,

Myra

Thank you both.  At this point, I doubt my son is scholarship worthy; I do think he will be collegiate ready by the end of his senior year. Thank you, Myra, I feel a little relief that men's crew is not NCAA governed.  We will definitely fill in some recruiting forms.

I'd suggest that your son fill in the college recruiting form found on the college's sport website.  Then make a crew resume and send it off to the coach with cc to all ass't coaches.

I just wanted to agree with this for anyone else who is reading.  I did not think to cc assistant coaches until late in the game.  Ds is very happy where he landed, but he likely would have gotten more interest from the schools he was interested in had we communicated with assistant coaches from the beginning.

Also, for anyone reading this thread, I'm happy to share the brochure dh created for ds.  Just PM me with your email address.  It's for basketball, but it might give you some ideas.