Menu

Aussies and New Zealanders! Book recommendations, please.

I'm covering SOTW3 Ch. 24 Sailing South for Monday- Wednesday with my 9 year old.  Thursday and Friday I'll be out state with my 17 year old.  My 9 year old will be home with dad and I want to give her some interesting books to read on her own.  I already plan on Stowaway by Hesse.   Do you have any other children's literature recommendations about the discovery and early colonization of Australia and New Zealand by Europeans? She is a very strong independent reader so anything written for children up to about 12 is what I'm looking for.

Also, I have heard people from New Zealand referred to as "kiwis." What do the people of New Zealand think of that? Also posting in K-8 Forum.

Yes, Jackie French is fabulous. She has a great history (non-fiction) series as well. My Place by Nadia Wheatley is wonderful, although a very easy read. I'd use it anyway, just for the discussion potential. There is also a series made by the ABC based on it. try Youtube.

Just as an aside, we don't use the term "discovered" here. Australia is the home of the oldest living culture on the planet. It wasn't lost, so it was in no need of finding or discovery. The Dutch, Spanish and Portuguese bumped into it several times, Cook mapped it and claimed it for Britain, and the French were sniffing around at the same time. Colonised is OK. "Invaded" is the term preferred by Indigenous Australians.