Menu

Help me make sense of these scores

All,

The school just had my daughter re-evaluated and I got all the reports. I am hoping someone can help me make sense of it all. If I am reading it correctly, she made a tremendous progress, but I am not clear where the deficits are.  

2015 WISC-V

VCI - 100 - 50%

VSI - 92 - 30%

FRI - 94 - 34%

WMI - 107 - 68%

PSI - 98 - 45%

FSIQ - 99 - 47%

2012 WISC - IV

VCI - 79 - 8%

PRI - 77 - 6%

WMI - 99 - 47%

PSI - 83 - 13%

FSIQ - 79 - 8%

Before you say the 2012 test was screwed up, I believe it was not. She had WISC administered in 2009 and 2010 and the scores were very similar to 2012 version.

Additional tests the school did now are:

Bender-Gestalt II

Copy subtest - 12th %

Recall subtest - 58th %

CELF - 5

mean =10 +/- 3

word classes - 15

formulated sentences 9

recalling sentences - 9

semantic relationships - 9

core language - 102 - 55%

TAPS 3 - test of auditory processing skills:

word discrimination - 50%

phonological segmentation - 63%

phonological blending - 95%

number memory forward - 50%

number memory reversed - 37%

word memory - 63%

sentence memory - 5th %

auditory comprehension - 25%

auditory reasoning - 25%

Expressive one word picture vocabulary test - 18%

Receptive one word picture vocabulary test - 53%

WIAT placed her average in all categories, though some were weaker than others. Suprisingly, her overall reading was at 58% though her school evaluated her in the fall to be 2.5 years behind grade level.

What does all this mean? She made a lot of progress, I can tell. Her visual skills still appear to be weak. I am not sure I understand the huge gap on the subtasks on Gestalt. I am puzzled by 5% on sentence memory subtest of TAPS. Her memory otherwise seems to be in the average range. Any thoughts?

Thanks

My dyslexic 6 yo ds has very poor comprehension, like your scores are showing, at the sentence level.  As the sample size increases to paragraphs his comprehension improves and his overall vocabulary scores are astonishing.  But on the single sentence level, yes very poor comprehension.  It affects how I work with him in life *and* his reading.  Today I was trying to have him read the end of lesson paragraph/story in Barton 3.  He can read the paragraph, as in decode it, but he has NO CLUE what he read.  None, zilch, nada.  I've typed it all out onto single lines on single pages to have him read and illustrate.  It's the only way I know. He's clearly going to need more types of therapies.  I have no clue, sigh.

Oh, and a gifted IQ. 

It's on that list of things to ask the psych about when I'm over pneumonia and done with the IEP process, sigh.  Just saying yes, it happens. He also has verbal apraxia btw, a motor planning speech problem, and the psych commented on him needing more expressive language ST as well.  In other words, with us it's definitely connected to the speech problem. Well the psych in his case said the dyslexia came with the apraxia, as in they're intertwined.

Did they give you specific subtest scores? I found that with my little one, the composite numbers were less informative than the section-by-section scores. So if the composite number was, say, 93 (average range) but the section scores were 4 (low), 7 (low-average), and 12 (above average), then that composite is very misleading.

Testing kids who struggle with expressive language is very tricky since they may not be able to verbalize what they know. I got that comment a LOT from the IEP team when we met to go over the results of her triennial assessment.

Yup, my ds, with single sentence comprehension scores at the 25th percentile had WIAT (achievement) scores of gr 4.8.   :svengo:   You have NO clue what's going on in their heads.  I can't even wrangle it in my mind, how I'm supposed to make sure I'm teaching him in a way that he fully understands and doesn't end up with comprehension holes but also keep up with where he's at.  Makes no sense to me.  Like give him History Channel and giving him grade leveled thorough materials at the same time?  That's all I can figure.

Whatever, total rabbit trail.  

All, thanks for responding. Yes, I requested a breakdown and just received it. Here are the subtests for WISC:

VCI:

Similarities - 37%

Vocabulary - 63%

VSI:

Block Design - 50%

Visual Puzzles - 16%

FRI:

Matrix Reasoning - 50%

Figure Weights - 25%

WMI:

Digit Span - 84

Picture Span - 37

PSI:

Coding - 25

Symbol Search - 63

DD did a year of vision therapy back in 2011, so whatever could be fixed with vision therapy presumably was fixed.  

Heathermomster, to answer your question, we did so many different things in the last 3 years that it would be anyone's guess which one helped. Most likely, all helped with different things. DD started off with a brain training program, we then backtracked and did Learning breakthrough and a Reflex inhibiting program. She then did more computer based programs to improve processing speed and working memory. We also did a bunch of workbooks on visual training, visual spatial skills, problem solving, and linguisystems workbooks on auditory skills. I am sure I am forgetting something at this point...

That makes sense that there might be residual visual processing issues. VT and the workbooks probably helped but disabilities can only be remediated up to a certain extent. Frankly, I'd be thrilled if I saw my daughter's single-digit percentiles come up to the teens, twenties, and thirties even if they were still lower than the other domains.

No, we never used Cogmed though I did look at it. What I had my daughter use was the following:

* Brainware safari - both visual and auditory. There are a lot of exercises where she needed to click to a metronome. I think that helps with motor planning. She found those incredibly difficult and was stuck on the same levels for weeks.

* Learning Breakthrough program - there is definitely a motor planning component, though overall, it helped with balance more than anything.

* C8 Sciences - I think this is the one that I thought was for processing

* Brain Fitness Pro - this one was for working memory