Menu

Trying to figure out where my son is...

Guest slayergrl99

Guest slayergrl99

My son ''should'' be starting 1st grade next year. We've been homeschooling loosely with Montessori materials (I am a trained 3 to 6 teacher), and I am having a hard time figuring out where he fits in, maths and reading wise to choose curriculum for 1st grade.

Does anyone know of a site where I can get a good idea of where he should start? I was thinking of using Singapore with him for Maths. He's doing basic addition and subtraction with confidence and has started doing some basic multiplication. He's got his father's brains for math and can do calculations in his head.

Reading wise, he's mastered basic phonics and is moving into long vowels, blends, phonemes, etc. We've been using workpages from www.galacticphonics.com  to give him a challenge.

Can anyone give me an idea of where I should start with him?  I am in Europe and have a hard time getting English resources here, so anything I can know ahead of time will be useful.

Thanks, in advance

I don't know what you have available for reading instruction, but one option could be Progressive Phonics. It is free online, you could look at it to figure out where to start (sounds like he'd start with their intermediate level). Once he gets through with PP, you would continue on with easy reader type books.

Otherwise, many reading programs also have placement tests or will help with placement if you email them.

You really have to evaluate every program/text/etc. separately.  Grade levels are a very rough way to organize lessons.  Children in a particular grade vary widely.  Where a particular program starts, and how fast it moves, varies widely even for programs labeled with the same grade level.  I found it helped to get a sense of the general progression of learning (scope and sequence), figure out where my child fell on each skill, and choose texts that were a good fit for moving forward.