Menu

Books with a revenge theme?

musicianmom

The Prisoner of Heaven by Carlos Ruiz Zafón. It is the 3rd in a series (you might like the first two also), but could be a stand-alone, imo, especially if you are a fan of The Count of Monte Cristo.

Barcelona, 1957. It the is week before Christmas in the Sempere & Sons bookshop. Daniel Sempere has married the love of his life Bea and they have had a son whilst their partner in crime, Fermín, is busy preparing for his wedding to Bernarda in the New Year. Just when it seems as if luck is finally smiling on them, a mysterious figure with a pronounced limp enters the shop. He insists on buying the most expensive volume on display - a beautiful illustrated edition of The Count of Monte Cristo - and then proceeds to inscribe the book with the words 'To Fermín Romero de Torres, who came back from the dead and who holds the key to the future'. 

Who is this man and what does he want of Fermín? The answer lies in a terrible secret that has lain hidden for two decades, an epic tale of imprisonment, betrayal, murder and love that leads back into the very heart of the Cemetery of Forgotten Books.

ETA: Another book I thought of with a revenge theme is A Case of Exploding Mangoes by Mohammed Hanif.

True Grit (Portis)

Great book!

Not historical fiction, but:

Hamlet (Shakespeare)

to seek revenge for his father's murder (and become a murderer himself) or not -- that is the question 

The Princess Bride (Golding)

"Hello! My name in Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." ;)