Menu

Please help with rather mathy kid and calculus choices

My ds- 17 is a junior this year, doing Chalkdust Precalculus with dvd instruction (text is Precalculus, Functions and Graphs, by Larson). He has used Chalkdust since Algebra, plus we have used AOPS, Counting and Probability, and Number Theory. He has Aspergers and enjoys math.  We have many Great Courses Mathematics courses that he has enjoyed.  His Math SAT score this fall was 800, and he scored in National Merit Finalist territory on the PSAT.

My plan for Calculus was to apply for  the dual enrollment option available to us and have him take Calc at the local university, paid by the state.  He doesn't want to leave home for college (the Aspergers), so this would likely be the college he ends up attending.  He thinks he would like to major in statistics. 

I am rethinking this now for a few reasons.  If this whole experience of taking the class on a college campus is overwhelming and he doesn't do well, this route would end in a "Permanent Record" grade, affecting his GPA, and potential college admission/merit aid., as well as being a huge blow to his self confidence.

Also, the chapter he has been working through has taken him 2-3 hours a day, and he just spent at least 4 hours working on the chapter test.  One problem got him stuck and he doggedly stayed working on it until he got it, rather than skipping it and moving on.  The math he is doing is at the upper limits of my ability and I have been trying to follow along and brush up on my skills.  The chapter is Analytic trigonometry, and topics are Using, Verifying Trigonometric Identities, Solving Trig Equations, sum and difference formulas, and multiple -angle and product to sum formulas.  I have no idea how much these topics figure into future calculus success.  

I wonder if a better plan would be to take calc online next year (He must have an actual teacher, Chalkdust Dvd's will not do the job anymore).  Do many students who take calc in high school take it again at college?    

Any and all thoughts would be very welcome, as well as recommendations for online Calculus classes.  Derek Owens, what else?

thank you!

Carolyn

Many students who take calc at home do take it again at college. He can also study for the AP if he likes.

Every time I have taught precalculus, this chapter has been one of the most challenging, if that makes both of you feel better. I am impressed by doggedly working until he gets it and that will stand him in good stead in college.

Here are some things I'd keep in mind:

1) The tests will be timed. Since he did excellently on the SAT he has experience with timed tests, but over material he has just learned, how does he do? Is he able to skip a difficult problem and come back to it later without melting down?

2) How does he do with remembering to turn in things on time?

3) If he does decide to re-take it, how does he do when he feels he already knows things and it is a waste of his time? I have had students before who had had a solid calculus course in high school, and they (quite honestly) flaked and got C's when they deserved A's because they were bored with the class.

Please note that all of my concerns have to do with his age and emotional state. Mathematically-wise, I have not the slightest doubt that he is prepared for most university's calculus classes -- as a matter of fact, better prepared than most freshmen. His scores are very good and his perseverance is also very good.

BTW, here's another option you might not have thought of. Do the first half of the year online, then in the spring, take only Calc 1 at the state university. If his grade is less than optimal, it won't show on his mid-year transcript, and he will be able to get his feet wet at university the semester before he enrolls for a full load of classes.

Judging from his SAT score your son probably doesn't need to take Calculus I twice.  Have him take an online class at the Community College (semester pacing 15 weeks) or take something like DO online (9 month pacing) and then take the AP exam. 

FYI some decent brick and motor colleges are offering full online programs.

Consider Thinkwell too.  It's not a live instructor, but it has a very, very good instructor.  Middle son preferred it (by far) to Chalkdust.  

He repeated Calc I in college, but that's because he's pre-med and I wanted to be certain he had an easy class with his transition.  He did consider it easy, but didn't mind repeating it.  Several of his pre-med friends told him they wish they'd chosen as he did because Calc II freshman fall quarter was tougher (at his research U) and they ended up with Bs - not nearly as good for those heading pre-med.  My guy also later get an A in Calc II.  A good foundation is worth gold IMO.

Be careful with a CC Calc class.  Around here, they don't go nearly as in depth as Thinkwell did.  If his 4 year school is a "tough" one, the CC class won't be a good foundation EVEN IF the credit transfers.  Since he wants to go on in math, having a good foundation is super important.  The best ones to ask about this choice would be a prof at the 4 year school.  They tend to know if the feeder CCs are decent enough or not.

Consider Thinkwell too.  It's not a live instructor, but it has a very, very good instructor.  Middle son preferred it (by far) to Chalkdust.  

He repeated Calc I in college, but that's because he's pre-med and I wanted to be certain he had an easy class with his transition.  He did consider it easy, but didn't mind repeating it.  Several of his pre-med friends told him they wish they'd chosen as he did because Calc II freshman fall quarter was tougher (at his research U) and they ended up with Bs - not nearly as good for those heading pre-med.  My guy also later get an A in Calc II.  A good foundation is worth gold IMO.

Be careful with a CC Calc class.  Around here, they don't go nearly as in depth as Thinkwell did.  If his 4 year school is a "tough" one, the CC class won't be a good foundation EVEN IF the credit transfers.  Since he wants to go on in math, having a good foundation is super important.  The best ones to ask about this choice would be a prof at the 4 year school.  They tend to know if the feeder CCs are decent enough or not.

if a CC has a transfer Engineering program make sure you take the Calculus I class required for that program.  Our local CC is very big with multiple campuses so they have that program.

(Yes if he is pre-med then take it again you will need every A you can get!)