Menu

New Brunswick/Nova Scotia?

Impish

No, I think there a couple of ladies on here that do. I've been on other homeschool boards with moms that homeschooled there. It think it is pretty easy. Minimal reporting and paperwork. The only negative I've heard is that the small number of homeschoolers that are there are pretty spread out so meeting up with other homeschoolers might be tricky.

Plus side. It is a beautiful place to live says this displaced Maritimer.

No, I think there a couple of ladies on here that do. I've been on other homeschool boards with moms that homeschooled there. It think it is pretty easy. Minimal reporting and paperwork. The only negative I've heard is that the small number of homeschoolers that are there are pretty spread out so meeting up with other homeschoolers might be tricky.

Plus side. It is a beautiful place to live says this displaced Maritimer.

I started homeschooling when we lived in New Brunswick. In our small town we were the only homeschoolers. I heard rumors of a coop in the nearby "city" but from what I could eke out, it was small, virtually inactive and demanded a statement of faith (for us, an automatic no-go). I did find an informal group on the other side of the province and we did one field trip with them, but even if they hadn't been hours away it wasn't a good fit for us.

I'm not sure if there are more homeschoolers in Nova Scotia. Outside of perhaps Halifax, it just doesn't seem like a very accepted lifestyle. If you end up there, I hope I'm wrong and you can find others. We just had a terrible, lonely time of it where we were.

The plus side is that yes, it was very easy. I think I just informed the education minister when I took DS out of school and that was that. Zero reporting, zero accountability. But also, zero support from the community and virtually no local resources from which to draw. I'm not sure what the laws are like in NS.

What I found about NB is that they demand French as a component, and have 'you must' subjects. Zero clue how they enforce that. I don't mind French, but the kids have been interested in other languages, so haven't been worried about one vs another.

Just doing some research for now, not about to pack and move anytime soon, LOL

French was not a requirement for us and they didn't teach it in our elementary schools. DS was terribly disappointed as that was the one thing he was looking forward to about moving there. We had had him enrolled in a French immersion school where we lived previously, but they took that option away in the NB school, and I couldn't even find anyone to tutor him. Not all of NB is bilingual; if you want French around you, I'd suggest Moncton.

I guess there were "must teach" requirements but nothing out of the ordinary. Perhaps French was one of them in later grades. And no enforcement. No testing, no portfolio, no one to check in. The province doesn't have the resources to deal with the handful of homeschooling outliers, honestly.